Friday, April 24, 2015

God’s counsel for Friday morning



For many it is the end of the work week,  TGIF!  Weary, are you?  There are different kinds of tired.  There is the fatigue that we experience after a day of physical labor when we crave a hot shower and the opportunity to stretch out on the couch.  We know a good night’s sleep will restore us. There is the kind of weary disappointment that we feel after we put in our best effort and come up with meager results. We sigh and realize that next week we will do it all again.  Refocusing ourselves, taking a break, brings back our hope. 

There is the exhaustion with life that finds us after an ongoing struggle when we are beat down – emotionally, spiritually, more than physically.  And, we wonder if we can get back up? This kind of weariness grows like a snowball rolling downhill.

When that kind of exhaustion overtakes us, we are in a dangerous place.  We are more likely to make decisions that we will come to regret. We become more susceptible to temptation.  The leash on our temper frays.  Short term gratification gains greater appeal because we lose sight of tomorrow.  So, what should we do?  Simply put – we need to sit down and shut up before we hurt ourselves or someone else.  We need to take a break.  Literally, we need to walk away from the struggle.  “But, Jerry, I am not a quitter.”  Taking a wise break for renewal is not the same as quitting.

God reminds us that in that season He is our Healer. "O Israel, how can you say the Lord does not see your troubles? How can you say God refuses to hear your case? Have you never heard or understood? Don’t you know that the Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth? He never grows faint or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives power to those who are tired and worn out; he offers strength to the weak. Even youths will become exhausted, and young men will give up. But those who wait on the Lord will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint." (Isaiah 40:27-31, NLT)

Soul exhaustion can morph into a deadly kind of bitterness.  When it does we join the chorus that sings, "What’s going on here? Is God out to lunch? Nobody’s tending the store. The wicked get by with everything; they have it made, piling up riches. I’ve been stupid to play by the rules; what has it gotten me? A long run of bad luck, that’s what— a slap in the face every time I walk out the door." (Psalm 73:11-14, The Message)  We lose touch with reality replacing it with our clouded view of life. Even worse, we turn on the very One who could heal us.  Feel that coming?  Then, make yourself stop!  Take charge of your emotions and stop reacting to every jolt.   That same Psalm tells of a choice the weary one made. "When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me ‘till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny." (Psalm 73:16-17, NIV)  Humbly, we come and sit before the Lord, not to whine, not to gripe, not to rage nor to scream.  We just wait.  And, the Spirit finds us!

"Then I realized how bitter I had become, how pained I had been by all I had seen. I was so foolish and ignorant … Yet I still belong to you; you are holding my right hand. You will keep on guiding me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny. Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever. But those who desert him will perish, for you destroy those who abandon you. But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do." (Psalm 73:21-28, NLT)   The questions about why may remain this side of Eternity, but the assurance found in faith restores the weary!

Weary this Friday?  Soul weary, exhausted, broken by disappointment in yourself or others or even with God Himself?  There is a rest for the people of God.  Stop struggling and trust.  Here’s the word from the Word. "Do you see what this means—all these pioneers who blazed the way, all these veterans cheering us on? It means we’d better get on with it. Strip down, start running—and never quit! No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins. Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we’re in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way: Cross, shame, whatever. And now he’s there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls!" (Hebrews 12:1-3, The Message)

TGIF!
___________

Let My Words Be Few

You are God in heaven,
And here am I on earth,
So I'll let my words be few.
Jesus, I am so in love with You.

And I'll stand in awe of You.
Yes I'll stand in awe of You.
And I'll let my words be few,
Jesus, I am so in love with You.

Beth Redman | Matt Redman
© 2000 Thankyou Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: