Tuesday, February 24, 2015

You can be an amazing person!

When Bev was diagnosed with serious illness a year ago, we wanted the best doctor for her.  Imagine if the physician we selected told us “I do surgeries occasionally.  I spend a few days a week working on cars and my real passion is creating computer networks, but I dabble in medicine.”  Do you think we would have let him care for her?  His credentials included years of study. He attends conferences to update his knowledge. His expertise is narrowly focused on one field of medicine so he is able to provide the best care. He’s amazing because of his dedication.
Want to be amazing at something?  It’s going to cost you – time, effort, and focus.  Remember that old phrase, ‘jack of all trades, master of none?’  It’s about a man with multiple areas of competence, but no single area of expertise. If you want to be a stand-out, then choose a field, and focus.  
Amazing Christians who influence those around them with love and God’s Presence, are passionate about  Christ Jesus and His kingdom. They don’t just dabble in worship every now and then. They won’t allow sin and selfishness to hang onto chunks of their soul. They are holy.  That word is for all of us, not a select few. Being holy is about belonging to God and dedicated to His work.  Here is how one passage speaks of the choice: "So leave the corruption and compromise; leave it for good,” says God. “Don’t link up with those who will pollute you. I want you all for myself. I’ll be a Father to you; you’ll be sons and daughters to me.” The Word of the Master, God. With promises like this to pull us on, dear friends, let’s make a clean break with everything that defiles or distracts us, both within and without. Let’s make our entire lives fit and holy temples for the worship of God." (2 Corinthians 6:17-7:1, The Message)
A week ago, Bev and I sat with a couple in their 80’s whose lives are about one thing. They live to make Jesus known to others and have lived on this task for more than 6 decades. Their devotion has cost them in many ways, but their clear focus has also allowed Stuart and Jill Briscoe to influence thousands to trust Jesus with their lives, to become disciples of Christ. They are holy people.  None of the caricatures of that word stuck to them. They were filled with joy, their faces creased with smiles. They had a rich sense of humor and were capable of making fun of themselves. They were transparent about their humanity, yet the brightest part of who they are is Jesus. He shines through!
What adjectives describes you?
Does “Christian” top the list, shaping all the rest, as in Christian husband/wife, Christian father/mother, Christian (fill in your vocation), Christian neighbor, Christian . . . ?
The word from the Word is long today. It may even be familiar as it is an oft-quoted text, but read it as if you were exploring it for the first time.  Do so with the prayer to become amazing in the work of the Lord, adopting the singular focus of a holy person. "Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the priceless gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I may have Christ and become one with him. I no longer count on my own goodness or my ability to obey God’s law, but I trust Christ to save me. 
For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith. As a result, I can really know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I can learn what it means to suffer with him, sharing in his death, so that, somehow, I can experience the resurrection from the dead! I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection! But I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be. No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven. " (Philippians 3:8-16, NLT)
______________
Father God, there are so many voices,
So many offers, so many temptations,
So many good things that distract us from
The One Thing we need to own – You and Your purpose!

Give us the wisdom to choose wisely.
Spirit of God, give us discernment that lets us
Give things their real value and invest in those that
Return the rich, eternal rewards.

Savior, keep us near Your heart,
Fearless, Faithful, and Fervent
In the service of God and good.

In Jesus’ holy Name, Amen.

No comments: