Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Lesson in my Garage



Shuffling things around in my garage yesterday I realized how much stuff I have accumulated.  The generator (we do have power failures here in the country) had to be moved out the way to put the wood chipper (not needed until Spring) in the back, alongside of the pressure washer, next to the snow blower! The pond vacuum (love that little koi pond!) was stored on the shelf …  you get it, right? Each of those things is useful but what owns who?  Am I owner of my things or do they own me? In a sense, I am a servant to my stuff, storing it, maintaining it.  Further reflection made me prayerfully ask the Lord to help to find the right balance in my life, to not let my store of things become a measure of happiness.

God’s people had returned to Judah after 70 years of servitude in Babylon. Nehemiah’s courageous leadership stirred the sons and daughters of those who were carried off from their homes to go back and rebuild. The city walls of Jerusalem were rebuilt and life became normal.  But, a decade later, the Temple of the Lord was still a ruin. Why?  The people were satisfied with their stuff and saw no need to sacrifice to build a place of worship. God called them on their misplaced priorities. “The people procrastinate. They say this isn’t the right time to rebuild my Temple, the Temple of God.” Shortly after that, God said more and Haggai spoke it: “How is it that it’s the ‘right time’ for you to live in your fine new homes while the Home, God’s Temple, is in ruins?”  (Haggai 1:2-4, The Message)

In our time, God is not ‘housed’ in buildings.  We, Christians, are His temples. That is an indisputable fact. The question is – in what state is that temple? Am I making my life a place that welcomes the Spirit of God and displays the beauty of His Presence? Or, does the clutter of my life obscure or even block the indwelling of His Spirit?

Haggai went on to challenge the people of Judah to re-evaluate their lives. "You have spent a lot of money, but you haven’t much to show for it. You keep filling your plates, but you never get filled up. You keep drinking and drinking and drinking, but you’re always thirsty. You put on layer after layer of clothes, but you can’t get warm. And the people who work for you, what are they getting out of it? Not much— a leaky, rusted-out bucket, that’s what. That’s why God-of-the-Angel-Armies said: “Take a good, hard look at your life. Think it over.” (Haggai 1:6-7, The Message)  Their refusal to put God first left them changing a mirage of happiness in their stuff. They never could get enough.

Though 3 millennia have passed since God spoke those words, they are as true now as they were then. Jesus restated the principle. “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.” (Luke 12:15, NKJV)  The real substance of a rich life is not discovered in a garage full of stuff or a bank account overflowing with money. He completes the thought with this challenging wisdom. "For life is more than food, and your body more than clothing." (Luke 12:23, NLT)  “Don’t be concerned about what to eat and what to drink. Don’t worry about such things. These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need." (Luke 12:29-31, NLT)

The ancient people of Judah responded with obedience. They heard the Word and got to work. "‘The glory of this present house will be greater than the glory of the former house,’ says the LORD Almighty. ‘And in this place I will grant peace,’ declares the LORD Almighty.” (Haggai 2:9 NIV)

That’s why God-of-the-Angel-Armies said: “Take a good, hard look at your life. Think it over!”
_______________

Take My Life And Let It Be (Hendon)

Take my life and let it be
Consecrated Lord to Thee
Take my moments and my days
Let them flow in ceaseless praise
Let them flow in ceaseless praise

Take my hands and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee
Swift and beautiful for Thee

Take my voice and let me sing
Always only for my King
Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee
Filled with messages from Thee

Take my silver and my gold
Not a mite would I withhold
Take my intellect and use
Ev’ry pow’r as Thou shalt choose
Ev’ry pow’r as Thou shalt choose

Take my will and make it Thine
It shall be no longer mine
Take my heart it is Thine own
It shall be Thy royal throne
It shall be Thy royal throne

Take my love my Lord I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store
Take myself and I will be
Ever only all for Thee
Ever only all for Thee

Frances Ridley Havergal | Henri Abraham Cesar Malan
© Words: Public Domain

No comments: