Monday, October 13, 2014

So you want to do something grand?

My sister gave me the autobiography of a world-renowned evangelist to read while I was recuperating. It is a big, thick book each page telling the story of how God used this man to preach the Gospel around the world.  There are amazing accounts of healing and miracles of provision.  My faith was inspired by it. 

And, there was less holy response, too.  I fell to comparison, wondering if the work I do matters.  That man preached the Gospel to more people in a single night than I will in my lifetime!  Pride crept up on me and made me long for the grand gesture, the big moment.  Do your expectations of how and what God should do hide His ways from you, right where you are?

Naaman was a general in the Syrian army who became desperately ill with leprosy. A young Jewish girl, a captive taken during one of Naaman’s raids in Israel, told him about the power of God that would heal him.  “Just go to Samaria and find Elisha. He will make you well.”  The general assembled a whole group of attendants and off they went, a desperate man in search of hope and healing. 

Here’s how the Bible tells the story. "So Naaman with his horses and chariots arrived in style and stopped at Elisha’s door. Elisha sent out a servant to meet him with this message: “Go to the River Jordan and immerse yourself seven times. Your skin will be healed and you’ll be as good as new.”
Naaman lost his temper. He turned on his heel saying, “I thought he’d personally come out and meet me, call on the name of God, wave his hand over the diseased spot, and get rid of the disease. The Damascus rivers, Abana and Pharpar, are cleaner by far than any of the rivers in Israel. Why not bathe in them? I’d at least get clean.” He stomped off, mad as a hornet.
But his servants caught up with him and said, “Father, if the prophet had asked you to do something hard and heroic, wouldn’t you have done it? So why not this simple ‘wash and be clean’” So he did it. He went down and immersed himself in the Jordan seven times, following the orders of the Holy Man. His skin was healed; it was like the skin of a little baby. He was as good as new." (2 Kings 5:9-14, The Message)

Naaman almost missed out on God’s blessing because of HIS EXPECTATIONS.  His servants wisely urged him to just do what the man of God told him to do.  In obedience, he found his restoration.  There was grace in the ordinary!

Jesus told a story about a master and servants entrusted with his treasure.  One servant received 10 talents, one received 5, and the last just 1.  The first two were diligent and doubled the master’s treasure and both received equal commendation!  The 1 talent guy dug a hole and hid the treasure, returning it to the master on reckoning day with no increase.  Was he commended? “But the master replied, ‘You wicked and lazy servant!" (Matthew 25:26, NLT)  "To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away." (Matthew 25:29, NLT)

On this Monday morning, embrace God’s commission and call in the present.  His greatest grace may be found in the very ordinary tasks of life.  If we waste too much time longing for some call where we can be ‘heroic,’ we will lose sight of His will and fail to serve faithfully so as to win His approval – “Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!" (Matthew 25:23, NLT)

_______________

Take My Life

Holiness, holiness,
Is what I long for.
Holiness is what I need.
Holiness, holiness,
Is what You want from me.

Faithfulness, faithfulness,
Is what I long for.
Faithfulness is what I need.
Faithfulness, faithfulness,
Is what You want from me.

So, take my heart and form it!
Take my mind, transform it!
Take my will, conform it,
To Yours, to Yours, Oh Lord!


Scott Underwood
© 1995 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing (Admin. by Vineyard Music USA)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: