Monday, September 22, 2014

Words for River Crossings



Here we go, again.  There are problems waiting to be solved, people who want counsel, letters to write, messages to prepare, decisions to be made …  and it’s only 6 AM on Monday!  Does your week look like that, too?  Does a river of responsibilities flood the way in front of you?  There’s an encouraging story from Joshua for us.

Israel was at the door to the Promised Land once again. The Israelites who had left Egypt had died after failing the test of faith and wandering for 40 years. The next generation now had that opportunity to take what God had promised.  Would they see the hardships and turn back as their parents had done? Would they allow fear to drive them to faithlessness?

God said, "Be strong and courageous!" Spies went out on reconnaissance missions. Plans were made. The people were on the move. Then, they met their first obstacle.  The Jordan River ran along the entire border of Canaan. As they approached it this time, it was at flood stage. What could they do? God said, "Step into the river and I'll stop its flow!" 

In obedience to this seemingly impossible directive, Joshua placed the Ark of the Covenant on the shoulders of 12 priests! What happened?  "As soon as the feet of the priests who were carrying the Ark touched the water at the river’s edge, the water began piling up at a town upstream called Adam, which is near Zarethan. And the water below that point flowed on to the Dead Sea until the riverbed was dry.”  (Joshua 3:15 NLT)

What did those men think was going to happen when they walked into that river?
How long did it take before they saw the miracle start to happen?
Did the ones at the front get waist deep, chest deep, up to their shoulders before the water receded? 
Did they hesitate, even for a moment?

I do not know the answers but I see the lesson of faith.  If we want to enjoy God's providence we must be prepared to be obedient to His Word and take steps of faith before we see results! It's not hard to jump on the bandwagon once we see the miracle in progress, is it? But, it is a real challenge to do what God tells us to do when all we have is a promise!  Christian, step up to the challenges this week, with confidence in the promise of Jesus.  He says, "I’ll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20, The Message)

Has He called you to take on a new responsibility and you're stalled, focused on the impossibilities? Step into the river!  The Lord seldom reveals the plan for tomorrow until we are walking in obedience today.  We will not experience His provision for Wednesday’s need unless we have lived for Him faithfully on Monday and Tuesday.  There is another amazing, wonderful blessing that comes from our faithfulness. Others are blessed by it.  Those priests who did what Joshua told them to do made a way for others to experience a miracle. The story continues …  Then all the people crossed over near the city of Jericho. Meanwhile, the priests who were carrying the Ark of the Lord’s covenant stood on dry ground in the middle of the riverbed as the people passed by them. They waited there until everyone had crossed the Jordan on dry ground." (Joshua 3:17, NLT)

Here’s the word from the Word for those who are ready to step into the river.
"What is faith?
It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen.
It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see ..

So, you see, it is impossible to please God without faith.
Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that there is a God
and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him." (Hebrews 11:1,6 NLT)
_______________________

Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) (click to listen and let this song inspire you to step into the river)

You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep my faith will stand

And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sov'reign hand will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Saviour

I will call upon Your name
Keep my eyes above the waves
My soul will rest in Your embrace
I am Yours and You are mine

CCLI Song # 6428767
Joel Houston | Matt Crocker | Salomon Ligthelm
© 2012 Hillsong Music Publishing (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
For use solely with the SongSelect Terms of Use.  All rights reserved. www.ccli.com
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: