Tuesday, August 12, 2014

You need not be a victim!



News broke at 7 PM yesterday that comedian and actor, Robin Williams, died, a suicide.  One of the reporters mused, “He had everything; money, fame, family … what happened?”  Williams openly admitted his struggles with addictions. After 20 years of sobriety, he started abusing alcohol again 5 years ago and his second marriage ended. He regained his sobriety, but friends reported a man who was broken, ashamed, and depressed.  

Depression is a much misunderstood illness.  It is much more than being sad!  True depression steals the future and leaves a dark hole of despair. It can creep up on a person as a result of past choices and experiences, but it can also show up when there is an unexplained shift in brain chemistry.

What can we do to minimize our vulnerability to depression?

1. Stay rested! Exhaustion- emotional, spiritual, and/or physical-- can push us to the edge.  Rest is not just a good night’s sleep. It is being networked, having people who share life, and trusting God. There are times in every one of our lives when problems come like a storm. Wherever we look, we see problem waiting to be solved.  Trying to carry that kind of load alone can crush us from the inside out and depression can creep in. Actively create times of rest.

2. Stay right with God!  Guilt is a toxin in our lives. If we sin, and we all do, God prescribes this remedy - repentance and confession. (Psalm 51) David, the poet-king, got it right. "When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long." (Psalm 32:3, NLT)  Watch out for perfectionism, trying to everything right all the time.  That is a trap. But, when God’s Spirit speaks, when your conscience is active, respond.   
  
3. Know yourself. Do not ignore major changes in your mood. Our brain chemistry can get scrambled. These complex bodies produce too much of this, not enough of that, and our thoughts can become confused. Yes, Christian, it happens to people of faith, too!  If you are finding yourself with dark thoughts, unable to find your way to the Light of His Presence, do not let shame control you. Find a faithful friend. Talk with a counselor. Seek your Pastor’s advice. Where necessary, use the gift God gives us with medicine!  Thank the Lord, we are blessed with physicians who can work with us to restore the balance.
   
4. Deal with anger before it turns into consuming rage.  People will disappoint us. Unfair circumstances will overtake us. Rejection is part of life, sadly. Anger, like guilt, is one of those emotions that many Christians find unacceptable so they refuse to admit they are upset.  They cover their anger with polite words, Bible quotations, or even songs.  But, anger does not go away when ignored. It simmers and can finally boil over into rage that can feed irrational or self-destructive thoughts. Suicide is sometimes the ultimate 'get even' choice. That's why the Word tells us to settle our issues so the Devil cannot find a foothold in our life! "Go ahead and be angry. You do well to be angry—but don’t use your anger as fuel for revenge. And don’t stay angry. Don’t go to bed angry. Don’t give the Devil that kind of foothold in your life." (Ephesians 4:26-27, The Message)
   
Depression often has a spiritual dimension, too. "The Devil prowls looking for prey," Peter tells us. The enemy's goal is our destruction. If he can rob us of hope, keep us from experiencing love, cause us to live in shame and/or guilt, he accomplishes his mission.  

There is JOY in serving Jesus, but that joy is sometimes delayed! Yes, there will be suffering in the lives of the best of Christians. Peter wrote those who are being chased by the darkness of despair. He says, "Dear friends, don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. Instead, be very glad—because these trials will make you partners with Christ in his suffering, and afterward you will have the wonderful joy of sharing his glory when it is displayed to all the world." (1 Peter 4:12-13)

In this broken world, suffering is all too common. We cannot escape it, but we can stand up in the times of trial. "So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good." (1 Peter 4:19 NIV)   God did not design us to be alone, to try to serve Him by ourselves, to manage life like the Lone Ranger. IF you're in God's waiting room seeking healing from depression, ask a friend to wait with you, to pray with you - until the joy returns.  REACH OUT and tell somebody how much you're hurting! Don't try to wrestle the demons of despair alone. Gather prayer partners who will gently embrace you with their love and point you in the direction of someone who can help you choose life.

Most of us will never experience the depth of despair or rage that makes suicide a considerable option, but we will have friends, even people of deep faith in the Lord, who do. We must be our brother's keeper. Be proactive in listening when you are with your friends. Care enough to ask the hard questions, but gentle and loving so that you will invite those who are suffering from despair to share their heart.

Our word from the Word comes from Psalm 73.  This song is about a man who lost hope.
Life turned upside down, nothing made sense. He despaired of life until he turned to the sanctuary of God’s Presence.
Spend some time meditating on this passage. It’s a beauty!

"When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me
‘till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny. …
When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered,
I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you.

Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
(Psalm 73:16-17, 21-26, NIV)
________________

Stand By Me

When the storms of life are raging, stand by me!
When the storms of life are raging, stand by me!
When the world is pounding me,
Like a ship upon the sea,
Lord, who rules the wind and water, stand by me.

In the midst of tribulation, stand by me.
In the midst of tribulation, stand by me.
When the hosts of hell assail,
And my strength begins to fail,
Lord, who never lost a battle, stand by me.

In the midst of faults and failures, stand by me.
In the midst of faults and failures, stand by me.
When I've done the best I can,
And my friends misunderstand,
Lord, who knows all about me, stand by me.


Charles Albert Tindley
© Words: Public Domain

No comments: