Wednesday, August 27, 2014

When I coach football



In a just a couple of weeks, on Sunday afternoons, I’ll be coaching football.  Not really, but if you sat in my living room while I watched the game, you might be fooled for a few minutes. I’ll yell things like: “Just pass that ball!”  “What’s the matter with you, Brady? Anybody could see that interception coming!” The comments will fly.  Truthfully, I have never played a minute of football!  I can talk it, but I have not lived it. Being an armchair quarterbacks is a harmless diversion. Silly? Perhaps, but just fun.

Are you a Christian who spends too much time talking about your faith without getting into the game?  Jesus taught "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." (Matthew 6:33, NLT)  That passage is easy to repeat and sounds impressive. “Hey, here’s my life verse, Pastor.”   But, what does it mean to ‘seek the kingdom above all else’?   Have we done that when we go to church, sing along, nod with the pastoral prayer, and affirm our agreement with the sermon?  It’s a start, but it’s not the game! God-first choices in daily life is what He asks. 

Jesus warns about making our faith just a lot of talk. “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 7:21, NIV)  There are amazing benefits for those who live ‘in the Kingdom.’  They enjoy peace of mind, complete assurance of eternal life, power to overcome evil, and the promise of God’s total provision.  If we want the benefits, we have to live the life. We must become subject to the King, shape our will around God’s will, and conform our decisions to His wisdom.   
That means asking the Lord how to better that husband that loves his wife selflessly, like Christ loves His bride, the Church. 
That means holding our stuff loosely knowing that He owns it all so He can ask us for anything He wants. 
That means dealing with Self ruthlessly- ‘crucify the sinful nature’ is what the Spirit says!   
That means slipping onto our knees as each day opens and offering our hands, feet, heart, and mind to Him for whatever, wherever, whenever.   We become true citizens of His Kingdom with the blessings that go with living under His reign.

Jesus warns that we can become so adept at talking the game we will lose any sense of our hypocrisy.  We might even do some good things in His Name without really knowing Him, without being subject to Him. So, what happens in that situation?  It’s sobering, Christian.  He said it, not me.
"On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
“Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock.
Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.” (Matthew 7:22-27, NLT)

Bill Hybels speaks of ‘purposeful stewardship.’  Kingdom living is not accidental. Nobody just falls into becoming a mature disciple, a Christian of great character, a spiritual person living as an intimate friend of God.  That life develops by daily decisions, with costly choices, that are obedient responses to the Spirit’s call.  

Here’s the word from the Word. Take the challenge, receive the Promise. "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." (Galatians 5:18-25, NIV)
_______________

Mighty To Save

Ev’ryone needs compassion,
Love that's never failing,
Let mercy fall on me.
Ev’ryone needs forgiveness,
The kindness of a Savior,
The hope of nations.

Savior, He can move the mountains,
My God is mighty to save,
He is mighty to save!
Forever, Author of salvation,
He rose and conquered the grave,
Jesus conquered the grave.

So take me as You find me,
All my fears and failures,
Fill my life again.
I give my life to follow,
Ev’rything I believe in,
Now I surrender.

Shine your light
and let the whole world see;
We're singing
For the glory of the risen King!
Jesus,
Shine your light
and let the whole world see;
We're singing
For the glory of the risen King!

Ben Fielding | Reuben Morgan
© 2006 Hillsong Music Publishing (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: