Monday, August 04, 2014

So, you're a wise guy?


As you begin this new week, let me remind you of a gift of God that is yours for the asking. It’s worth more than gold. It will not lose value to you over time. You can share it liberally and it will never be depleted. The gift? Wisdom! "If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking." (James 1:5, NLT)  A wise person enjoys an incredible advantage in life. He sees beyond the obvious, chooses the best over the good, knows the difference between what is right and what is merely expedient. He does not get taken in by the fast-talking con men that plague our world. "Knowledge flows like spring water from the wise; fools are leaky faucets, dripping nonsense."
(Proverbs 15:2, The Message)


There are many smart people in this world, but fewer wise people. Smart people know many things, but wise people know how to live.  Looking back over my own life, I see many moments when I was 'correct' but not necessarily wise. I sometimes lacked the wisdom that would have made that the Scripture’s Truth fruitful and life-giving. 

Looking back to when my kids were in public schools, I realize how foolishly I sparred with educators who failed, in my opinion, to give proper respect to Christian convictions. I have those convictions still, but now in wisdom, I see the wisdom in convincing others rather than fighting with them! More than a few times I have rightly evaluated the choices of another but lacked the wisdom that would have allowed me to come alongside of them to help them to gain an experience of the Spirit’s freedom.  

 Are you just smart or are you wise? That is not a trick question.

Christian, wisdom is vital if we would desire to 'correctly handle the Word of Truth.' And, that Wisdom is ours if we will ask and learn from God. Note the progression. First there is the awe, then the ability to receive wisdom. "Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true wisdom. All who obey his commandments will grow in wisdom. Praise him forever!" (Psalm 111:10, NLT)  Do you practice that kind of humility?  If we will pour out our heart to the Father, if we will admit our need,  if we will recognize our limitations, we can go to Him for the promise. The cry of our heart needs to be – “Lord, make me wise in Your ways!”   Is this your prayer? It’s mine. "Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom He gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts." (Colossians 3:16, NLT) 

Need an inspiration for a life of wisdom?  Read the stories of Daniel. He was incredibly smart but even more, he was wise in the Lord! A son of Jewish nobility, he was carried off by the elite soldiers of an invading empire to serve in the court of a pagan king. Over 5 decades he served four kings in Babylon as a counselor, in each situation bringing glory to the Lord God. He knew the Source of his strength, his insight, and his influence. 

Pray with me for a  heart of humility like that of Daniel. I am absolutely convinced that what our world needs more people with profoundly godly wisdom! We can be those mentors, guides, advisors, and counselors IF we live humbly in the wisdom that God gives. And, when we do, we will find many opportunities to bring God's message in a way that will lead them to Jesus and life.

Meditate on Daniel's thankful prayer today. 
He offered it up after God allowed him to show the king what to do by interpreting a dream. 

"Praise be to the name of God forever and ever; wisdom and power are his.
He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them.
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.
He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him.
I thank and praise you, O God of my fathers:
You have given me wisdom and power, you have made known to me what we asked of you,
you have made known to us the dream of the king."   
(Daniel 2:20-23, NIV)

Lord, lead us as we humbly seek You.
Fill us with the quiet, steady wisdom of Heaven.
May we have the insight of those who spiritually wise.
In the Name of Jesus, Amen.
______

Be Thou my wisdom,
Be Thou my true Word.
I ever with Thee
And Thou with me, Lord.
Thou my great Father,
I, Thy true son.
Thou in me dwelling,
And I with Thee one.

No comments: