Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Dig deep, push on!

Yesterday, my son, Sean, who is visiting in our home, was running, doing sit-ups, stretching, sweating. Yes, the exercise routine was his way of putting stress on his body, to keep it conditioned and functioning. When he is at home, he regularly visits a gym where he pushes his body to its limits. He says this activity is ‘fun,’ something I find incomprehensible.

Do you know that stress serves a good purpose?

Challenges, be they physical, emotional, mental, or spiritual; create possibilities for growth. We tend to believe that things that create stress are enemies. Think again! Kids who grow up indulged and pampered will lack the resources to deal with life. Christians who avoid situations that try their faith will never discover the depths of God’s grace. Would be athletes who won’t sweat won’t become competitors.

What’s stressing you today? In conversations I’ve had with people in my pastoral care recently I heard about these kinds of stress.
  • I spoke with students who are feeling the pressure of end of the year project deadlines and final exams.
  • There was a person who is managing a project who’s supervisor is asking him to do what seems impossible.
  • A Mom facing overflowing laundry baskets, trips to Little League and dance classes, and boredom of the household routine shared her frustration, compounded by feelings of guilt, with me.
  • Our home is stressed with severe illness at this time.

    Added to those kinds of stress, there are the critics who, though they have never lived in our shoes, are so certain they could do better! (Don’t you love the unsolicited advice that people freely offer to you?)
Stress pushes us to rethink our assumptions, makes us go deeper spiritually, and relieves us of our illusions of self-sufficiency so that we will build strong relationships. But, if we don’t respond to it in a healthy way, stress can damage our emotions, break our health, or drive us to depression. IF we remember we have a Resource to whom we can turn, One who will not leave us without hope, our stresses will build great faith and deep character in Christ. In James 1:2-3 (The Message) we are taught by the Holy Spirit to think about the stresses of life this way. “Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.”
Paul says, “We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us.” (2 Corinthians 1:8-10. NIV)

The sustained stress that has been part of my life over the last year is without equal in my experience. It is also true that there has not been a time when I have enjoyed a more sustained time of growth in Christ and faith. It’s not easy, nor would voluntarily choose to walk this road. I am human and I cry and complain from time to time. Sometimes I wish for different circumstances. Yet, as I reflect on the stress of involved in my present situation, I am thankful that I am led by the Spirit to rely on God.

Are you stressed?
Take your cares to the One who cares for you today. Instead of just praying for relief, ask for courage! Thank the Lord that He knows you and as your perfect Father is working to make you the best you possible. Even as you cry and pray, ask Him what He desires instead of why He is allowing these things to happen to you. Thank Him that He knows exactly what you need, exactly how much you can take. His goal is to make His beauty shine through you and to lead you to real and eternal life.

In Hebrews, the writer uses the picture of a race. God, the Holy Spirit, is trackside calling out encouragement. So, “let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up.” (Hebrews 12: 1-3)

“But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
(John 14:26-27, NIV)
_________

10,000 Reasons (Bless The Lord)

The sun comes up, it’s a new day dawning.
It’s time to sing Your song again.
Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me,
Let me be singing when the evening comes.

You’re rich in love and You’re slow to anger,
Your name is great and Your heart is kind.
For all Your goodness, I will keep on singing,
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find.

Bless the Lord, O my soul, O my soul
Worship His holy name.
Sing like never before,
O my soul,
I’ll worship Your holy name.

And on that day when my strength is failing,
The end draws near and my time has come,
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending,
Ten thousand years and then forevermore!

Jonas Myrin | Matt Redman
© 2011 Said And Done Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
SHOUT! Music Publishing (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: