Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Rest for Warriors



Rest for Warriors

It was the end of a long day. I was beyond fatigue, my head ached. In the afternoon, word had come of yet another death in my circle of friends. Bev’s illness is an ever-present shadow that we do not escape.  And, of course, there are the responsibilities that come with adult life that we all experience. Around 9 pm something snapped, “I am sick of it all…” I stormed.  A little later as we prepared for sleep, my wife and I bowed our hearts in prayer. She asked if she could lead and carried me into His Presence.  There was renewal there!

Jesus has given a great gift to us that I had lost for a moment.  He gives us peace. Some do not understand it.  They think His offer is a promise of a house on a lake far from the stresses of daily life or a life of ease without blood, sweat, or tears. He does not take us from the world. He sends us into it. Jesus said, "Now go, and remember that I am sending you out as lambs among wolves."  (Luke 10:3, NLT) 

Yes, that is as challenging as it sounds, however, in Him, we find serenity in the middle of the stress and struggle.  As He was preparing His disciples for His death on the Cross He told them -
“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid."
(John 14:27, NLT)  

Christians who understand the Call are fully engaged with the real world. They choose to run to the conflict, get their hands dirty, and feel the pain visited on this planet by sin. Why? Because they understand that God's purpose is not discovered in pursuing comfort or letting the world go to Hell around them.  They accept the call to be bold warriors, commissioned to give their lives to establish His reign. That might sound noble and even exciting when you read about it. Truthfully, it is often exhausting, sometimes disappointing, and always demanding.  

Some start well and quit along the way. Others become ineffective, burnt out.  But, others take His promise and find serenity. Their confidence is inspiring, their hope unshakeable.  They go to Him, over and over again, to receive the Gift of Peace.

Consider what the Lord said about attempting to preserve ourselves. “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat—I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? If any of you is embarrassed with me and the way I’m leading you, know that the Son of Man will be far more embarrassed with you when he arrives in all his splendor in company with the Father and the holy angels. This isn’t, you realize, pie in the sky by and by. Some who have taken their stand right here are going to see it happen, see with their own eyes the kingdom of God.”
(Luke 9:23-27, The Message)

Are you frazzled and fatigued?
Are the cares of life weighing you down?

Relief will not come from a vacation, a win in the lottery, or a place of indulgence of some appetite!  For the warrior of the Kingdom, true rest is found in His promise of peace, in a place near to His heart.  So kneel, wait, listen, learn. "Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” (Matthew 11:28-31, NLT)
___________

Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)

You call me out upon the waters,
The great unknown, where feet may fail.
And there I find You in the mystery,
In oceans deep, my faith will stand.

And I will call upon Your name.
And keep my eyes above the waves,
When oceans rise.
My soul will rest in Your embrace,
For I am Yours and You are mine.

Your grace abounds in deepest waters.
Your sov'reign hand will be my guide.
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me,
You've never failed and You won't start now.

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders!
Let me walk upon the waters,
Wherever You would call me,
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Saviour!

I will call upon Your name
Keep my eyes above the waves
My soul will rest in Your embrace
I am Yours and You are mine

Joel Houston | Matt Crocker | Salomon Ligthelm
© 2012 Hillsong Music Publishing (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: