Wednesday, April 23, 2014

God, I don't deserve this!


Bev and I are walking through the deepest valley we have ever experienced together. Despite knowing better, I let myself wonder what we did to deserve this awful circumstance. The next stop on that ride is - ‘this is so unfair!’  When I take my eyes from my Father and start looking at myself a kind of pride takes over that and I think, wrongly, “We’re the good guys, Lord. Why are You letting this happen to us?”  With that thought, I play right into the schemes of the Devil.

Our Adversary wants us focus on being 'good enough' for God. He cheers our religiosity, but fears our relationship with our Abba. He wants us to believe that our goodness is producing the blessing of God, or conversely, that our hard times are the direct result of His anger.  From personal experience, I will tell that that if you go there – you will lose the assurance of faith. Yes, of course,  we suffer when we sin, because of the ancient law of the harvest. We reap what we sow! If we plant rebellion, resistance to God's will, and selfishness; we will create situations where we will find misery. If we plant seeds to produce spiritual fruit, we will find love, joy, and peace. The Word says, "The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life." (Galatians 6:8, NIV)

However, there is a mystery in the purposes of the Father that demands faith which is His gift, too.  We glimpse this in the story of a blind man. "His disciples asked, “Rabbi, who sinned: this man or his parents, causing him to be born blind?”  (John 9:2, The Message) Jesus answer surprised them and challenges us to greater faith. "Jesus said, “You’re asking the wrong question. You’re looking for someone to blame. There is no such cause-effect here. Look instead for what God can do." "He said this and then spit in the dust, made a clay paste with the saliva, rubbed the paste on the blind man’s eyes, and said, “Go, wash at the Pool of Siloam” (Siloam means “Sent”). The man went and washed—and saw. Soon the town was buzzing." (John 9:3, 6-8, The Message)  As ‘unfair’ as it may seem to us, God chose to glorify His Son through the man’s blindness.  Frankly, I don’t like the story, but I get the principle.

Our Father asks humble obedience and reliance.  We live for His glory and therefore, it’s not about us!  Every day we simply present ourselves to the Lord, thanking Him for His love, and asking the Spirit to guide us, to help us say a ready 'yes, Lord!' when He speaks to us. And, He will! The Bible says, "For in him you have been enriched in every way—in all your speaking and in all your knowledge— because our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you. Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed." (1 Corinthians 1:5-7, NIV) Yes, we must recognize that the 'you' that is the subject of this verse is a collective describing the Church. But, you and I am 'in the Church' and we can claim the promise of being empowered for a life of wholeness and holiness personally! Do you?

Like most Christians, unconsciously I try to make God my servant, praying that He will do my will, relieve my suffering, give me blue skies and bright sunshine.  Like it or not, that is not His promise!  There is peace and joy but it is in knowing that we are centered in Him, glorifying HIM.  True prayer aligns us with His purposes, opens our heart to His Presence, and strengthens us to live for His glory.  He has called us and He declares, "I will enrich you in every way!" That is why we must confess our weakness and claim His strength.  These days, when overwhelmed by my fears,  there is serenity for my soul. It rests on the assurance of the Scripture that "It is not by force nor by strength, but by my Spirit, says the Lord Almighty." (Zechariah 4:6, NLT)

Here's a Word to take with you today...
God "chose these "nobodies" to expose the hollow pretensions of the "somebodies"?
That makes it quite clear that none of you can get by with blowing your own horn before God.
Everything that we have—right thinking and right living, a clean slate and a fresh start—comes from God by way of Jesus Christ.
That's why we have the saying, "If you're going to blow a horn, blow a trumpet for God."
(1 Corinthians 1:28-31, The Message)
________________


by Keith Green
           
Make my life a Prayer to You,
I want to do what You want me to.
No empty words and no white lies,
No token Prayers, No Compromise.
I want to shine the light You gave,
through Your Son, You Sent to Save us
from ourselves and our despair.
It comforts me
to know You're really there.

Well, I want to Thank You Now,
for being patient with me,
Oh it's so hard to see,
when my eyes are on me.
I guess I'll have to trust and
just believe what You say...
Oh You're coming again,
coming to take me away.

I want to die, and let you give,
Your life to me, that I might live.
and share the hope You gave to me,
the Love that's set me Free.
I want to tell the world out there,
You're not some fable or fairy tale,
that I've made up, inside my head,
You're God the Son,
You've Risen from the Dead.

No comments: