Thursday, February 06, 2014

For the broken, promised peace



My Dad was a pastor.  He cried a lot. I am a pastor. I cry a lot, too!  Years ago, when he prayed the pastoral prayer during Sunday worship and wept, I was embarrassed by his emotion. “Why can’t a grown man control himself?” I used to think. Now I weep when I pray.  Last night when CBS News reported a story of an Army Ranger who was cut down by a bomb in Afghanistan, who now walks and speaks with great difficulty, tears flowed. 
After I visited an elderly woman who is so very alone and afraid, I cried for her.  When a man shared about his wife’s infidelity, I cried. I weep because in these things I see the result of sin and evil.  Oh yes, I weep over my own sins, too! I am only too aware of moments when I cause pain. 

There is so much suffering in this world, so much of it unnecessary if only we would turn to the One who can save, and pursue His ways and purposes. That is why I pray with intense faith and great longing, “May Your Kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven!”

Micah saw the sin of the people of God. He denounced it, railing at the injustice, and declaring the inevitable judgment of God.  He saw the promise of restoration, too.  “In that coming day,” says the Lord, “I will gather together those who are lame, those who have been exiles, and those whom I have filled with grief. Those who are weak will survive as a remnant; those who were exiles will become a strong nation. Then I, the Lord, will rule from Jerusalem as their king forever.” (Micah 4:6-7, NLT) "But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, are only a small village among all the people of Judah. Yet a ruler of Israel will come from you, one whose origins are from the distant past. The people of Israel will be abandoned to their enemies until the woman in labor gives birth. Then at last his fellow countrymen will return from exile to their own land. And he will stand to lead his flock with the Lord’s strength, in the majesty of the name of the Lord his God. Then his people will live there undisturbed, for he will be highly honored around the world." (Micah 5:2-4, NLT)

Micah saw three separate prophetic events: the restoration of the Jews, the coming of their Messiah, and the coming of our King. The common thread is the concern for the weak, the small, those oppressed. In each prophetic, there is a shared assurance that He will ‘lead his flock with the Lord’s strength,’ and that “His people will live undisturbed,” at peace!  

These promises are for us. We have the promise of the Kingdom, of peace. We need not learn to throw our weight around or gather coalitions to force our way. Our strength is in the One who is Lord. Our hope secured by His victory, so we learn to rest, even now, in Him.  Yes, we are touched by the suffering that sin visits on this world because the love of Jesus creates a tender heart of mercy in us. We will allow ourselves to see, to be touched, to work for the coming of His kingdom.  But, even in our tears, we find peace in His promise.

Here’s the word from the Word.  "Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." (Philippians 4:5-9, NIV)
_____________

When His Kingdom Comes

He will set up His kingdom within me
Filling the void with delight,
Taking dominion over selfish desire,
Transforming the darkness to light,
Transforming the darkness to
Wonderful light.

When His kingdom comes,
What a diff'rence.
When things in earth
As they are in heaven.
When all Has been settled,
And my heart is His throne,
O what a difference,
What a great transformation,
When His kingdom comes.

Dony McGuire | Dottie Rambo
© 1984 New Kingdom Music (Admin. by Rambo McGuire Music)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: