Friday, October 04, 2013

The Unforgotten



Our church’s annual meeting convened last night.  We receive reports from the various ministries of the church, read the financial reports, and note the worthy endeavors of those who serve. It’s good to note the progress made and recognize those who are working hard.  Missing from that room were so many people from the church’s 80 year long history, whose giving and serving laid the foundation for what happened in Fiscal Year 2012-2013 yet the evidence of what they’ve done is unmistakable. 

Some are known, their names prominent in our memories. Some, numbering in the hundreds, are unknown participants, people who prayed, people who gave sacrificially, but anonymously.  As I turned off the lights and walked through the building, I felt the presence of  the "great a cloud of witnesses." (Hebrews 12:1, NKJV)

As much as I long to thank each person who helps us fulfill God’s calling for the congregation I am privileged to lead, I cannot.  Their service is hidden from my observation, outside of my attention, or even overlooked.  Every disciple who is doing what the Spirit calls and equips him to do, will serve and go unrecognized, by some of those he serves. Our God will not forget and He plans a rich reward!  There is a sobering part of this promise. God sees what we do, how we do it, and why we do it!  

"The one who plants and the one who waters work as a team with the same purpose. Yet they will be rewarded individually, according to their own hard work. We work together as partners who belong to God. You are God’s field, God’s building—not ours.
Because of God’s special favor to me, I have laid the foundation like an expert builder. Now others are building on it. But whoever is building on this foundation must be very careful. For no one can lay any other foundation than the one we already have—Jesus Christ. Now anyone who builds on that foundation may use gold, silver, jewels, wood, hay, or straw. But there is going to come a time of testing at the judgment day to see what kind of work each builder has done.
Everyone’s work will be put through the fire to see whether or not it keeps its value. If the work survives the fire, that builder will receive a reward. But if the work is burned up, the builder will suffer great loss. The builders themselves will be saved, but like someone escaping through a wall of flames. Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you? God will bring ruin upon anyone who ruins this temple. For God’s temple is holy, and you Christians are that temple." (1 Corinthians 3:8-17, NLT)

That passage is of tremendous encouragement to me and should be to every follower of Jesus.  Many things I do are not seen by others.  Sometimes the work is hard and occasionally thankless. Often it is even hard to connect effort with results.  I cannot begin to know how my life is affecting those who will follow after.  Who will stand in the place I presently occupy even 50 years from now is beyond my ability to know.  Will he or she even know I existed?  If they know at all, it will most likely be only from reading some old report in a file stored on a computer drive, if at all.  But, my work is never forgotten by the Lord of Glory.  Nor is yours!  This causes me to want to serve with excellence, regardless of recognition or compensation. The far more important reward will be handed out by One who knows it all.

So, here’s a word from the Word.  Let it encourage you as you serve the Lord, wherever, however, whenever.  You are not forgotten. "My conscience is clear, but that isn’t what matters. It is the Lord himself who will examine me and decide. So be careful not to jump to conclusions before the Lord returns as to whether or not someone is faithful. When the Lord comes, he will bring our deepest secrets to light and will reveal our private motives. And then God will give to everyone whatever praise is due." (1 Corinthians 4:4-5, NLT)
____________


Blessed Assurance

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood!

   This is my story, this is my song,
   Praising my Saviour all the day long.

Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Saviour am happy and blest,—  
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

- By Frances Jane Crosby Van Alstyne

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your Annual Meeting went well, Jerry. I remember annual meeting days with some degree of trepidation, even as I remember other special days with great fondness. One of my big concerns now that I'm retired is what to do in order to keep building on that foundation, not to earn points with God. of course, but to continue to express my thanks for so many blessings received. "Happy Friday"--at least once your Sunday message is written.
Grace & Peace.
David J.