Thursday, September 12, 2013

Painting by numbers or making a masterpiece?



Painting by numbers or making a masterpiece?

Over the years I've read dozens of self-help books.  Andy Stanley teaches me how to be a visionary leader.  James Dobson informs me about being a good parent.  Dozens of writers offer suggestions for leading a church.  Many rehash the obvious.  Some seem to think that their experience is the one we all should re-package.  A few are truly helpful.  7 Habits of Highly Successful People, by the late Stephen Covey, is one of the latter. "Think Win-Win," or "Seek first to Understand, then to be Understood," “Sharpen the saw”  are timeless, universal, and true principles for life! However,  becoming the best person I can be will never be the result of 'self-help' alone! In fact, the brokenness of my human nature goes so deep that despite my best and highest intentions, I fail to reach the lofty goals to which I aspire.  Self-help, is a lot like painting by numbers. God’s power makes masterpieces of us!

We can be the best person possible only when we accept the love of God in Christ Jesus which produces spiritual transformation. That goes so much deeper than changing some behavior traits or learning some principles of life.  Do not confuse the miracle of salvation from sin with being religious or church-going. Plenty of miserable people live far below their God-given potential in spite of the fact that they sit through church services week after week, year after year.  They are untouched by the majesty of the message of Christ!   Then, too, let’s not confuse an authentic love for God with becoming a religious fanatic who quotes Bible verses and beats up those ‘sinners’ with whom he lives.  Jesus said, “If you love me, keep my commands.”  To say that we love God while we continue to please ourselves is the height of hypocrisy. True love invites the Spirit to do the work of heart change – faithfully walking through trials that transform, obeying the Spirit when He nudges us to confession, choosing a life of worship.

The Word of God describes what happened to me (and to millions more!) by the grace of God. Here are excerpts. "You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil—the commander of the powers in the unseen world. ... By our very nature we were subject to God’s anger, just like everyone else. But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that ... he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God’s grace that you have been saved!) ... So God can point to us in all future ages as examples of the incredible wealth of his grace and kindness toward us, as shown in all he has done for us who are united with Christ Jesus. God saved you by his grace when you believed. ... For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." (Ephesians 2:1-10, NLT)

Spiritual health emerges in us when we receive God's grace and practice the disciplines of the Spirit that lead us to the pathway of becoming:  yes, the best God purposes for us to be!  You can be a forgiving, gentle, loving parent and spouse.  In a world of despair, you can be full of hope.  When Christ saves us and the Spirit lives in us, we are intimately connected to the Creator of the Universe Who promises to use us to pour His Living Water onto a dry, dying world.  Yes, through the Spirit, self-help is set aside in favor of being empowered;  enjoying the ability to say "no," to a life formed around sensual appetites and "yes" to the Spirit's way.

Receive this prayer from Scripture today-
"I ask him to strengthen you by his Spirit—not a brute strength but a glorious inner strength— that Christ will live in you as you open the door and invite him in.
And I ask him that with both feet planted firmly on love, you’ll be able to take in with all followers of Jesus the extravagant dimensions of Christ’s love.
Reach out and experience the breadth! Test its length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights! Live full lives, full in the fullness of God."
(Ephesians 3:16-19, The Message)

Begin to thank God for the potential He's given you. Ask Him to inspire you to be the best you can be in His grace. Never just settle for what is easy, or natural!  Don’t live your life just painting by numbers.  Instead, let God teach you how to make a masterpiece of humanity in you. Then others will say, "Thank God!" and the world will be improved by your existence. Is there anything truly better than that?
___________

The Potter's Hand

Beautiful Lord,
Wonderful Savior,
I know for sure,
All of my days
Are held in Your hand,
Crafted into Your perfect plan.

I'm captured by Your holy calling,
Set me apart, I know You're drawing
Me to Yourself.
Lead me, Lord, I pray.

Take me! Mould me!
Use me! Fill me!
I give my life
To the Potter's hand.
Call me! Guide me!
Lead me! Walk beside me!
I give my life
To the Potter's hand.

Darlene Zschech
© 1997 Wondrous Worship (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: