Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Ripples through Time



“Hello, Jerry, this is Jack Winters.”  An image of a man with a smile, a sweet, loving demeanor filled my mind as I heard the voice of that old friend on the telephone yesterday.  He went on to tell me that it was his spiritual birthday, that 40 years ago on that day, my Dad had knelt beside him in church and led him to open his life to Christ Jesus.  A tough, not so nice man, whose marriage was in shambles, became new and whole.  Jack’s voice trembled with emotion as he told me that the previous Sunday night two of his granddaughters were baptized.  “I’m so glad your Dad wouldn’t give up on me,” he said.  That is how Christianity works!  The Gospel is like a seed planted, then grows, matures, and bears fruit.  It is replanted and the effect ripples outward through the world.   Occasionally we get to connect some lines, as I did yesterday, but often only God in Heaven knows what our choices today will produce a generation from now.

What effect will ripple through time from your life? Who are you pursuing with the Gospel, persistently but not offensively, quietly, prayerfully, gently; and above all, with Christ-like love?
Influence that ripples out into the lives of others does not require that we shout our message or overwhelm the world! Salt is a critically importance ingredient in so much of our food, but it doesn’t take much! Light is a powerful influence. Put a brightly colored rug in front of a sunlight filled door. It will fade quickly! Plants bend toward the source of light. Jesus reminds us to be like "salt and light." He says, "You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it useful again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless. You are the light of the world—like a city on a mountain, glowing in the night for all to see. Don't hide your light under a basket! Instead, put it on a stand and let it shine for all. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” (Matthew 5:13-16, NLT)

Keep in mind that what you do is creating a culture. Make it one of excellence! Here’s a word from the Word.  I accept the Lord’s challenge. Will you?
"As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit— just as you were called to one hope when you were called— one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all." (Ephesians 4:1-6, NIV)
__________
“Heavenly Father,  the wake that follows my passing in life today
Be one of grace.
Let my conversation be full of faith, my words marked by compassion.
Create a wholeness in me that lifts up those I pass by.

Thank you for those who have influenced me.
Be honored by my thoughts, words, and actions.
Christ Jesus, I pray in Your Holy Name.”



No comments: