Friday, May 17, 2013

Everything means just that!



Everything- means just that!

The office printer just stopped working yesterday. I am tech savvy, so I did resets, restarts, unplugs – all the normal things one would do to get it going again.  A call to tech support from Xerox dragged on for 15 minutes but to no avail.  In the evening, I was back at the church for a meeting and needed to print documents for it. What could I do?  I exercised some very child-like faith; I prayed for the printer. Yes, really!  I put my hands on it and prayed something like this: “Lord, if You could make the universe, I am fully confident that You can make this thing run.  I thank You for wisdom to fix it, if that’s how You choose to act or a miracle of restoration. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”  I pushed the switch and heard the internal fan kick on.  Then, it went into error mode and stopped again.  So, I prayed again. “Lord, please.”  I pushed the switch once again.  15 minutes later I walked to my meeting carrying neatly printed documents from a fully functioning laser printer.  Call it coincidence, if you like. I’ll thank God for answered prayer.

Is God at my beck and call, my Divine Tech Support? No, He isn’t, but He is my Abba, the One who is concerned about those things that concern me. I accept, each day and in simple faith, His invitation to “pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done." (Philippians 4:6, NLT) I request wisdom. I talk to Him about my work. I ask for provision for my needs and yours, too. I pray for people, kids, cars, buildings, healings, peace, insight, suffering nations, world peace, belly aches … yes, everything.  Why? Because, “everything” means just that!  Perhaps you don’t share my point of view, but since He is my Father in Heaven who loves me, He enjoys our ongoing conversation.

The Word tells me that "The LORD takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with salvation." (Psalm 149:4, NIV)  He finds pleasure in being my Abba (and yours, too)!  If you are ‘in Christ,’ then there is a standing invitation to ‘come into His Presence.’  You don’t need an appointment.  You don’t have to beg, cower, wheedle, or whine. Just come confidently to Him, thanking Him for all He has done and will do.  Like a beloved child, be ready to accept His ‘no,’ or ‘wait,’ as readily as His “yes.”  I don’t always find that printers start to work the moment I pray for them, that cancer falls away the instant I ask Him for healing on behalf of others.  However, I see His providence all of the time when I open my eyes in faith.

Learn to talk with God; listening, responding, making requests about everything.  Take this word from the Word. Own it by faith and then live it.
"Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun." (Psalm 37:3-6, NIV)  "For evil men will be cut off, but those who hope in the LORD will inherit the land." (Psalm 37:9, NIV)

_______________

Father God

Father God,
I give all thanks
And praise to Thee!
Father God,
My hands I humbly raise to Thee,
For Thy mighty pow'r,
And love amazes me, amazes me;
And I stand in awe and worship,
Father God.

Jack Hayford
© 1973 Rocksmith Music (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc., 741 Cool Springs Blvd., Franklin TN 37067)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: