Monday, May 06, 2013

Can You Just Give It A Rest?

Can you just give it a rest?

Stand Still When I catch myself whining about something for too long, I tell myself, “Give it a rest!” I need to coach myself to shut my mouth, to let things go, or to give them to the Lord. That little phrase, as rude as it can be, works for me. “Jerry, just give it a rest!” And, when I do, I am able to work better, harder because I can focus on what really matters in life.

Christians are offered rest by God. It is one of those privileges that we exercise too little, in my opinion. We fret, stress, and struggle trying to make life into what we think it ought to be. All the while, the Lord says, “Give it a rest!” A life of faith allows us to enter into a place of rest, even in the most difficult of circumstances. Psalm 23 celebrates that “You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies!” Yes, He invites us to sit down to dinner on the battlefield! Hebrews speaks of the ‘Sabbath rest’ available to the people of God. It’s not able a day off from work. It is an invitation to a place of serenity, where our souls are settled securely in the covenant promise of the Lord. "Since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith." (Hebrews 4:1-2, NIV) Are you still fretting about your relationship with Him? Are you troubled that you might not be ‘good enough for God?’ Then, you have not entered into His rest. In Christ Jesus, we are made whole, saved completely, and able to rest.

From that place near the heart of God, where the Spirit speaks to us about His loving acceptance, we enter the world to do the work of God. Working with God is so much more fulfilling than working for Him. If we are trying to prove to Him that we deserve His blessings our efforts become dutiful, exhausting, and often more about appearance than substance. But, if we are engaged in serving the Lord because of our love for Him and for others, even those things that could be drudgery, take on meaningfulness. The same tasks, yes. But, they are done with a different motive, and are kissed with His favor.

Meditate on Jesus’ words. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, NIV) On this Monday morning, as you’re starting a new work week, He wants to come alongside and share the weight. Will you allow Him to do that? There’s rest waiting. No, not the kind of rest we find in a hammock in the backyard on a Summer afternoon. It’s a sense of fulfillment and purpose that comes from knowing He is pleased with us.  

Here’s the same passage from The Message: "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me-watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matthew 11:28-30, The Message)

Do you need to tell yourself ‘just give it a rest!’? Bring that matter that troubles your soul to Him. Ask for wisdom, for help, for acceptance - and ‘enter His rest.’ You, and everybody around you, will appreciate the difference.

"The LORD protects the simplehearted; when I was in great need, he saved me. Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the LORD has been good to you. For you, O LORD, have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling." (Psalm 116:6-8, NIV)

__________________

He Is Our Peace

He is our peace,
Who has broken down ev'ry wall.
He is our peace, He is our peace.
He is our peace,
Who has broken down ev'ry wall.
He is our peace, He is our peace.

Cast all your cares on Him,
For He cares for you,
He is our peace, He is our peace.
Cast all your cares on Him,
For He cares for you.
He is our peace, He is our peace.

Kandela Groves
© 1975 Maranatha! Music (Admin. by Maranatha! Music)
CCCM Music (Admin. by Maranatha! Music)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: