Thursday, April 18, 2013

When Abba Soothes



Mom’s cancer was gradually taking her strength, but her faith did not waver!  One of my sweetest memories was going to check on her and seeing her hands extended heaven-ward as she prayed. But, sometimes the pain and the fear of the unknown made even that strong lady cry. The tears slid down her face and mine, too, when I lay down next to her to hug her in comfort. On Monday, as the news streamed out of Boston about the bombs that killed and maimed people gathered for the Marathon, I know I was not the only one with tears in his eyes.  A 60 Minutes story about a despot in Africa named Kony who steals children from their beds to become his soldiers and who tortures those who dare to resist him, made tears well up in my eyes. Tears are a frequent visitor these days, not because I have a terrible life, but because there are so many who suffer.

Satan rains terrible suffering and pain on this planet that Adam sub-let to him with his disobedience in the Garden. Oh, yes, I know that each one of us contributes to the pain with words we say in anger and/or selfish choices that bring unforeseen and/or unintended consequences. Tears of remorse are sometimes the most plentiful! Amid all those tears, I do find comfort, and so can all those who weep. At the end myself, He comes by His Spirit, or through the tender compassion of a friend, or in a serendipitous display of beauty and reminds me that He is still God and that He is good. He is the “source of every mercy and the God who comforts us. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When others are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us." (2 Corinthians 1:3-4, NLT)

The most wonderful promise for those who know the Savior is this: when the struggle’s over, God will draw us close. Abba will sooth us and He will dry our tears!  "I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” (Revelation 21:3-5, NIV)

Yes, on this broken planet, there are days when life hurts too deeply for words. If our aim is to avoid pain, we can amuse ourselves, we can medicate ourselves, we can become self-absorbed.  But, this is not the way of Christ. Our Lord’s heart was broken by the suffering of those with whom He walked. And, if we share His compassion, ours will be, too.  As we weep, we must pray for protection from bitterness that turns us into ugly, mean people. There is a difference between tears of bitterness and tears of brokenness.  Bitter people grow brittle and break!  Broken people open their heart to the restorative Presence of Jesus and find comfort which they, in turn, share with others. Gordon Jensen wrote a song with this memorable line, “God weeps along with man and takes him by the hand, tears are a language God understands.”

Are the tears ready to fall today? Has the disappointment, the pain, the unrelenting struggle with the curse of sin nearly broken you in two?  Go ahead and cry. Find a place alone with Abba and let the tears that fall become a wordless prayer for renewal of hope, for healing, for forgiveness. Then, give thanks for the grace to stand and the promise that He someday will wipe away every tear, and even the memory of those things which make you cry, from your eyes forever.
_______________

I Will Rise

There's a peace I've come to know,
Though my heart and flesh may fail,
There's an anchor for my soul,
I can say, “it is well.”

Jesus has overcome,
And the grave is overwhelmed.
The victory is won,
He is risen from the dead.

 (And) I will rise when He calls my name,
No more sorrow, no more pain!
I will rise on eagle's wings,
Before my God, fall on my knees, and rise,
I will rise.

There's a day that's drawing near,
When this darkness breaks to light.
And the shadows disappear,
And my faith shall be my eyes.

And I hear the voice of many angels sing,
“Worthy is the Lamb!”
And I hear the cry of ev'ry longing heart,
“Worthy is the Lamb!”

(And) I will rise when He calls my name,
No more sorrow, no more pain!
I will rise on eagle's wings,
Before my God, fall on my knees, and rise,
I will rise.

Chris Tomlin | Jesse Reeves | Louie Giglio | Matt Maher
© 2008 Vamos Publishing (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: