Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Rabbit's feet and Jesus



For centuries, people in many cultures have carried a rabbit’s foot as an amulet. The ancient superstition says that the properly mounted item keeps ‘bad luck’ away.  Let’s just say that I don’t plan to start carrying a lucky rabbit’s foot anytime soon!  

 My question I ask of you today is:  do you  treat Jesus like an amulet?  Do you think that going to church, wearing a cross, or saying the “Lord’s Prayer” wards off bad luck? Many people confuse superstitious religion with real discipleship.  What do I mean?  

 Life gets tough or there a big event is on the horizon. What happens? The superstitious get religion!  “God talk” shows up in their conversations. They start to attend church, all full of effusive devotion.  The Bible is put on display in their home.  I cannot say exactly what is in the mind of another, but it looks like something very much like carrying a rabbit’s foot for good luck.  What one can see is that religious fervor comes and goes in wave

Disciples walk with Jesus – all the time.  In consistent devotion, their lives are centered on obedience to the will of God.  Theirs is an intimate relationship with Jesus and it results in something far better than ‘good luck.’  The Lord says, “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who parts from me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. But if you stay joined to me and my words remain in you, you may ask any request you like, and it will be granted! My true disciples produce much fruit. This brings great glory to my Father." (John 15:5-8, NLT)

The idea of ‘producing much fruit’ is a compelling one.  Fruit is the natural result of life, isn’t it?  An apple tree that is alive bears apples.  Of course,  it needs to be cared for by the orchard owner to keep away the parasites, to enhance both the quantity and quality of the fruit.  But, basically, it is the life in the tree that makes apples appear.   

A person who is organically connected to Christ, through the Holy Spirit, will produce evidence of that life. Through divine pruning the fruitfulness of his life will be maximized.  But, unlike a passive apple tree,  disciples are an active part of this process. That is why Jesus tells us to stay connected! "Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me." (John 15:4, NIV)

Fruitfulness is life-long and cumulative. A Christian who is growing in Christ shows an ever-increasing deeper quality of life, a richer prayer relationship, and a sterling character.  Jesus says that this ‘brings great glory to God.’   The joy and effectiveness of their faith stands in stark contrast to the shallow superstition of the religious.

I encourage you to choose to love and serve Christ – all the time, in every situation, as much when the sun is shining brightly as when the darkest clouds are approaching.

Here is the word from the Word.
"The one who seeks good finds delight; the student of evil becomes evil.
A life devoted to things is a dead life, a stump; a God-shaped life is a flourishing tree. …
A good life is a fruit-bearing tree; a violent life destroys souls. "
(Proverbs 11:27-28,30 The Message)

__________

I would be true, for there are those who trust me;
I would be pure, for there are those who care;
I would be strong, for there is much to suffer;
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.

I would be faithful through each passing moment;
I would be constantly in touch with God;
I would be strong to follow where He leads me;
I would have faith to keep the path Christ trod.

-Howard Walter

No comments: