Friday, March 22, 2013

By and by, I’ll place an Ebenezer! (see below)



I spent some time looking through old pictures yesterday. Each image triggered memories – some happy, some sad, some wistful.  There were photos of a trip to family reunion in Indiana that I took with my Mom and Dad. Going with them was a spur of the moment decision.  I am now so thankful I took a the time. None of us knew that it would be the last trip together, that Dad would become gravely ill not many months later.  Did God play a part in guiding me to take the time to go? I absolutely believe He did.  It wasn’t the only moment where yesterday’s reflection revealed His hand guiding me.    

The Word tells us that "The steps of the godly are directed by the Lord. He delights in every detail of their lives." (Psalm 37:23, NLT)  Often His hand is unseen in this present moment, but we continue to walk in faith. And, like I did yesterday, as we look back, we can, like Samuel create memorials to remind us of God’s faithfulness.  "Samuel then took a large stone and placed it between the towns of Mizpah and Jeshanah. He named it Ebenezer—“the stone of help”—for he said, “Up to this point the Lord has helped us!” (1 Samuel 7:12, NLT)

Abraham was directed to take his son, Isaac, to Mount Moriah.  God demanded a sacrifice. As they traveled, the boy wondered aloud about a missing element. “Father, we have the wood and the fire, but where is the lamb?”  The man of faith answered, “The LORD will provide!”  Only at the moment of surrender, when Abraham was willing to give that which was dearest to himself, he experienced the fulfillment of his words of faith. "Abraham looked up and saw a ram caught by its horns in the bushes. So he took the ram and sacrificed it in place of his son. Abraham named that place “The Lord Will Provide.” (Genesis 22:13-14, CEV)

I am in one of those times when it is hard to see the Lord’s hand. Frustrating situations, multiple problems for which no solutions are evident, and questions about the future are very much a part of my life right now. My choice is to trust. Why? Because of His promise to direct my steps, to be my Provider.  Only half in jest, I wonder why He doesn’t choose to put enough resources in my bank account to eliminate any concerns, why He doesn’t let me see a level, straight road into tomorrow.  In my heart I know why, though.  Then, I would grow complacent, perhaps even apathetic, in my pursuit of Him.  He loves me enough to keep me close to Him, to encourage me to walk in faith. 

Do you want to look back and know that He has led you? Then, follow the path of Abraham, which is one of faithful obedience for this day. Even if we cannot see the outcome, we must submit our will to His  In time His ‘delight in every detail of our lives,’  will become evident. In eternity, when He reviews our lives, we will see His purposes and plans completely.  Faith will become sight!

Here’s a familiar passage from the Word.  Let’s own it and live in the promise. "Trust in the Lord and do good. Then you will live safely in the land and prosper. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart’s desires. Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust him, and he will help you. He will make your innocence as clear as the dawn, and the justice of your cause will shine like the noonday sun. Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act." (Psalm 37:3-7, NLT)
_______________

Blessed Assurance

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine.
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

Perfect submission, all is at rest.
I, in my Savior, am happy and blest.
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

This is my story, this is my song;
Praising my Savior, all the day long!
This is my story, this is my song;
Praising my Savior, all the day long!

Fanny Jane Crosby | Phoebe Palmer Knapp
Public Domain

No comments: