Friday, February 15, 2013

Yes, You are Lord!

Yes, You are Lord!

Five years ago as my Dad wrestled with the cancer diagnosis, his soul was restless, his faith tested. Repeatedly, during long nights, we would talk and he would wonder aloud why he was not healed, why cancer was ravaging his body. For a time, he wondered if the Lord had turned away from him. That was hard to see, in many ways worse for me than the physical suffering. I asked him bluntly one night, “Dad, do you think that God, our Father, somehow slapped His head a few months ago suddenly realizing that cancer has slipped up on you, that it somehow eluded His awareness?”   It was hard for my Dad to accept that God, while not the One who causes cancer, certainly knew and had a purpose in allowing it.  But, he is not alone in this test of faith.

The idea is so simple it should be obvious. God is "in charge.” I hear your laugh as you think “Jerry, you really stretched for that one, didn’t you?” Actually, I did. I knew it intellectually long before I owned it! The fact is that a contented, peaceful, faithful Christian rests his entire life on this one key fact - “God is in charge.” Even when circumstances argue against His rule, even when suffering seems meaningless, even when what is going on around appears to be random - God reigns! When we abandon the need to know why and trust Him completely, we find amazing grace. Will you accept the gift of faith that allows you to live in that place?

I am not a fatalist! I know that choices are made by me and people all around me that have an impact on my life! I know that the seeds I plant today by my actions produce a harvest in my life and in the lives that intersect with mine, and yet I know that God is greater and that He is able to "work for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28, NIV) From that fact grows real assurance -"What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31, NIV) Faith, not fate, allows us to live in peace when life is shaken to its very foundations. 

Jesus commended a Roman commander for his recognition of the sovereignty of God. "When Jesus arrived in Capernaum, a Roman officer came and pleaded with him, “Lord, my young servant lies in bed, paralyzed and racked with pain.” Jesus said, “I will come and heal him.” Then the officer said, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come into my home. Just say the word from where you are, and my servant will be healed! I know, because I am under the authority of my superior officers and I have authority over my soldiers. I only need to say, ‘Go,’ and they go, or ‘Come,’ and they come. And if I say to my slaves, ‘Do this or that,’ they do it.” When Jesus heard this, he was amazed. Turning to the crowd, he said, “I tell you the truth, I haven’t seen faith like this in all the land of Israel! And I tell you this, that many Gentiles will come from all over the world and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob at the feast in the Kingdom of Heaven." (Matthew 8:5-11, NLT) 

Let’s not be like the ancient Jews who had the Scripture and knowledge of God but who lacked enough faith to radically trust Him. A Gentile who had been trained in a pagan environment exercised a greater faith than those who should have had multiple reasons to truth the Lord. His response of faith opened the door for God to act. He did not need to dictate the outcome. He simply made the request and trusted the Lord with the results. “Just say the word....”and it will be done.

The most pressing prayer we need to pray is for increased faith. As we trust Him more, we become participants in His purposes and when we are living squarely in the center of His will, there is serenity and quiet strength. 

Here’s a word from the Word. May we have the faith to own and to live it. "
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7, NIV)  
________________________

Mystery

Sweet Jesus Christ, my sanity.
Sweet Jesus Christ, my clarity.

Bread of heaven, broken for me.
Cup of Salvation, held out to drink.
Jesus- mystery!

Christ has died and
Christ is risen
Christ will come again

Celebrate His death and rising,
Lift your eyes, proclaim His coming.
Celebrate His death and rising,
Lift your eyes, lift your eyes.

Sweet Jesus Christ, my sanity.

Charlie Hall
© 2008 worshiptogether.com songs (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
sixsteps Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: