Friday, February 22, 2013

A Popeye Moment



Bill Hybels, pastor and author, in his book, Holy Discontent, talks about having a Popeye moment.  Seeing people sit through church unengaged, unmoved, he finally said to himself, “That’s all I can stands I can’t stands no more!”  He calls it his Popeye moment, when God used his frustration to stir up discontent that led to starting Willow Creek Church. It was not just about being uncomfortable or wanting things done his way. It was about realizing that the stakes were so high he had to take the risk to do something radical!

I am praying that God will let you see the problems of the world around you in such a stark, disturbing way that you, too, will have a Popeye moment.  And, I pray that when it happens, you won’t run away, look for an easier assignment, or try to divert your attention.  No, I pray that it will make you fall on your knees and tell the Lord, “I want to be part of the solution. Use me, Lord, no matter the cost, to be a life-changer.”  The Church and Spirit-filled Christians are the last, best hope of this dying world. We stand on the line between life and death, between Hell and Heaven.  In the ancient land of Judah, the Lord saw the great sins of the people and said, “I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none." (Ezekiel 22:30, NIV)    Is that what He’s saying about this land, our time?

Do you know that people are dying and headed for Hell?  Do you know that people are living in a kind of Hell, right here?  We all know that, but will we let ourselves see it, feel it, bear the weight of it?

The burden of the call of God to be His ambassadors, to serve as His hands, can be a heavy one. But, if we will let ourselves feel the weight, like Bill Hybels we just might come to a real moment of holy discontent that changes everything.  We just won’t be able to play church and call it “Christian living” any longer.  We will scream a prayer of desperation that says, “That’s all I can stands, I can’t stands no more,” and in that moment find Jesus’ promise fulfilled.  What promise? "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." (Matthew 5:6, NIV)

Are you a bored Believer?  Are you drifting from church to church looking for better worship, more ‘relevant’ preaching, or a kid’s program that rival’s a Disney production?  May I frankly suggest that the boredom will disappear if the discontent with life is replaced by holy discontent  that causes you to put on the yoke of ministry?  The paradox is that when you’re willing to spend yourself in the work of the Kingdom, a kind of satisfaction comes to you that nothing else can equal.

There is a story from an ‘ordinary’ day in Jesus’ life.  He was traveling with His disciples and paused by a well in Samaria.  While they went off in search of food, He sat.  A women whose life we would call ‘dysfunctional’ came at mid-day to draw water.  The only reason anyone would be out carrying water at mid-day was to avoid contact with others. She was ashamed of her life. Jesus saw her desperation, gave her hope, and she was changed. When the disciples came back with lunch, He said this:  My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing his work. Do you think the work of harvesting will not begin until the summer ends four months from now? Look around you! Vast fields are ripening all around us and are ready now for the harvest. The harvesters are paid good wages, and the fruit they harvest is people brought to eternal life. What joy awaits both the planter and the harvester alike!" (John 4:34-36, NLT)
________________

Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like You have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks Yours
Everything I am for Your Kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity

Brooke Ligertwood
© 2006 Hillsong Music Publishing (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: