Thursday, January 31, 2013

Meeting the Minimum



Meeting the Minimums

My son, Sean, loves coffee and it shows. I just make a cup of coffee. He creates an amazing beverage! He takes pride in the freshness of the beans and getting the grind just right. Some people landscape their yard, carefully trimming, raking, mowing, spraying; and it shows in a lawn that looks like a golf course. I just mow mine.  When I prepare to speak, I never just ‘get up and talk off the top of my head.’ I think, pray, plan, write and re-write, with the goal of moving my audience to take action. Why? I am passionate about communication!

Here’s a pointed question:  do you have a passion for serving God, or are you content with meeting minimal expectations? It’s a serious issue.  Christianity without passion offends the One who deserves our highest and best.

In ancient Judah, even the priests were just going through the motions of worship. God spoke and did not spare their feelings. "The Lord of Heaven’s Armies says to the priests: “A son honors his father, and a servant respects his master. If I am your father and master, where are the honor and respect I deserve? You have shown contempt for my name! “But you ask, ‘How have we ever shown contempt for your name?’" (Malachi 1:6, NLT) "When you give blind animals as sacrifices, isn’t that wrong? And isn’t it wrong to offer animals that are crippled and diseased? Try giving gifts like that to your governor, and see how pleased he is!” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies." (Malachi 1:8, NLT) “How I wish one of you would shut the Temple doors so that these worthless sacrifices could not be offered! I am not pleased with you,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “and I will not accept your offerings." (Malachi 1:10, NLT)  “Should I accept from you such offerings as these?” asks the Lord. “Cursed is the cheat who promises to give a fine ram from his flock but then sacrifices a defective one to the Lord. For I am a great king,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “and my name is feared among the nations!" (Malachi 1:13-14, NLT)

Simply stated, God says that no worship is better than half-hearted worship.

Do we give God the best part of our life or the leftovers?
Does He get our attention in prayer or just sleepy words?
Do we do ministry in prime time or just ‘fit it in’ as conveniently as possible?

“Shut the Temple doors!” He says. “If you won’t give the best, then don’t go through the motions!”  It’s not just an Old Testament principle.  In His address to the churches in the book of the Revelation, Jesus says “I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!" (Revelation 3:15-16, NLT)

If we want a God-blessed life, if we want to enjoy His favor and know the fullness of joy that Jesus promises- we must give Him the first, the best, ‘our utmost for His highest.’ (Oswald Chambers)

Here’s a thought to ponder -
Would you want God to love you in the same way that you love Him?
______________________

Give me one pure and holy passion,
Give me one magnificent obsession.
Jesus give me one glorious ambition for my life.
To know and follow hard after You

To know and follow hard after You,
To grow as Your disciple in the truth.
This world is empty, pale, and poor,
Compared to knowing You my Lord.
Lead me on and I will run after You.

One Pure And Holy Passion
Altrogge, Mark

© 1988 PDI Praise (Admin. by Word Music Group, Inc.) / Dayspring Music, Inc. (a div. of Word Music Group, Inc.)

CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: