Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Hit that reset, start anew?



Hit that reset, start anew?

My family members think I am quite clever because I ‘fix’ their computers.  The open secret is that in many cases all that is required is a complete shut-down.  When the computer restarts, the connections are reset and set right.  Wouldn’t it be wonderful if life had a reset sequence like that?  When we’ve made a terrible financial mistake, we could just restart and erase it! When our marriage gets snarled in misunderstanding and miscommunication, a simple reset could restore harmony.   When some dysfunction overtakes us, we could hit that reset and start anew. Ah, the stuff of fantasy.

Somehow, with the flip of a calendar page, many people think there is a kind of reset for life. On January 1 many are convinced that they will suddenly find the will-power to lose 30 pounds, to stop eating junk calories, to cut back on TV time, to read the Bible and pray every day.  Oh yes, I’m talking about those pesky resolutions most of us make.  What’s your experience with those?  You’re right! They last for a week or two, then we slip back into our old habits. Real change does not happen because it’s a new year. So, am I saying that we have to just settle for the disappointment and dysfunction? Must we content ourselves just with Pop-eye’s motto snarling with him, “I yam what I yam.”?  

No. It is possible to learn new ways to live – to gain better health, to relate better to others, to mature in our spirituality. 
How? Resolutions alone won’t do it.  Lasting change develops from the inside out.

Only when we find the courage to admit to ourselves who we are, our real longings, our disappointments, our sins, our secret desires can the work of change begin.  Admitting that we are fearful, prideful, lusting, greedy, hateful, selfish, judgmental, controlling, mean, or miserable is so hard that most will never do it.  Instead, we find ways to hide the truth or shift blame onto the shoulders of another.  We do change, but usually  it is our situation, not ourselves.  We are totally convinced that a new job, love, church, home, child, ______ (you fill in the blank) will make us different, better, or whole.  For a time, changing our circumstances does allow us to feel ‘new’ but soon our old patterns emerge and the new becomes the old again.

If we will face ourselves and get under our skin, we will most likely be terrified or ashamed by what we find hidden there.  But, in our terror there is the seed of transformation for at the end of ourselves we find God’s power to change us.  In our desperation we are ready to receive His gift of faith, ready to give control to the Spirit, ready to deal with real issues, not just symptoms. Then, and only then, does real and lasting change begin to take place.  It’s not an event, it’s a process.  We are led in it by a complete trust in God and His love. We learn that He loves us as we are, but we do not make that into an excuse to become complacent.  His love and grace becomes our anchor as we enter the turbulence of transformation.

Over time, we deal with who we are and God’s grace leads us to Christ, first for forgiveness at the Cross; then into a new way of life based on eternal realities not mere satisfaction of our carnal longings. He becomes our peace. He becomes our hope. He satisfies our need for love.  And, we find the Truth – that in loving and being loved – life is richest.

Here is Jesus’ own invitation. “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, NLT)   
And for those who take His invitation, this possibility is created: "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us. My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." (1 John 1:8-2:1, NKJV)
And, we find that "Now we look inside, and what we see is that anyone united with the Messiah gets a fresh start, is created new. The old life is gone; a new life burgeons! Look at it!" (2 Corinthians 5:17, The Message)

Now, that’s better than a fantasy reset button!
_____________

Change My Heart, Oh God

Change my heart, oh God,
Make it ever true.
Change my heart, oh God,
May I be like You!

You are the potter.
I am the clay.
Mold me and make me.
This is what I pray.

Eddie Espinosa
© 1982 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.)
CCLI License # 810055

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your words.
Thank you for the song.
"Change my heart of God.
May I be like you."
TL