Friday, September 07, 2012

Be the salt, what's that mean?


Be the salt

A frequent phrase in my prayer, both public and private, is “Lord, by your Spirit working in me, help me to have a measurable influence on those with whom I work today.”  I see that as a response to Jesus’ words in which He asks us to be the ‘salt of the earth,’ and the ‘light of the world.’  Both require getting involved, speaking up, using our head and hands to serve others.  Sometimes that is accomplished with just a bit of concern.  I took note of the weary face of the woman who took the payment for my coffee and asked her if she was OK.  A hesitant smile crossed her face and she told me that life was tough for her right now. Life-changing? Probably not, but an influence. I spent a few moments on the phone with an elderly woman, listening to her complaints, then gently turned her thoughts to God’s love.  That’s a way to shed a little light into her world.

Being an introvert, my natural inclination is to keep to myself, to stay ignorant of need, suffering, and sin around me; but my Lord demands that I care. Speaking out, extending a hand, urging change can be costly.  If I am pro-active, others will often be reactive!  Jesus, who was Love Incarnate, provoked reactions ranging from adoration of a woman who washed His feet with her tears to hatred of Pharisees who plotted His death. Salt brings out the flavor of the soup and it stings when used to cleanse a wound. Light shows the way through the dark and it reveals hidden sins.  Some Christians mistakenly believe that being inoffensive is a primary aim of living in this world. I understand why. There are those confused saints who go out of their way to be offensive, who only feel their faith is valid if they have managed to make the world around them angry with their insensitive, rude applications of what they believe is Truth.

The Bible urges us to ‘speak the Truth in love.’  The result is that we grow up in Christ. While I have no appetite for confrontation, I know it is part of the calling of being committed to the life of the Spirit. It is so very important for us to speak from a solid foundation of integrity. If we don’t live what we say, we’re easy targets for ridicule, like "clouds without rain, … autumn trees without fruit." (Jude 12, NIV)  When we are open to the Spirit, quickly repentant when we fail, and ready to deal with life as we find it – we can be amazingly effective transformational agents in the world. 

So, are you having a measurable influence on your world?
When you’re around do people feel the love, see the light, and react?

Some will love you, some will hate you. That’s as it will be. Jesus was clear about this. “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." (John 15:18, NIV)

Here’s a word from the Word.  Go make a difference as you obey His call!   Jesus says, “Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You’ve lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage. “Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand." (Matthew 5:13-15, The Message)

No comments: