Thursday, July 19, 2012

God, like a slick salesman?

When we balk at obeying the Lord's word and will, what we're really saying is "I don't trust You." I remember giving my kids direction that they did not like. When they argued, "it's not fair," or "nobody else has to do that," or "you are so mean," - I reminded them that I needed them to trust me. My experience and maturity gave me reason for whatever it was I asked of them. One of the more gratifying things in my life today is when those same children, now in their 30's, thank me for having the courage to be a real father, willing to risk their anger, able to stand my ground. They now understand why it was important to learn how to manage their money, to keep their commitments, to show up on time, to learn good work habits, to practice self-discipline.

Our Heavenly Father sometimes leads us down paths that we would prefer to avoid. For example, our marriage hits a tough spot, with little apparent love and affection. God says, "Be faithful!" Do we stay the course, or argue with Him? "Lord, life is so short. Why should I hang in there when I could find another who would make me so much happier." "Trust me, son, I know what I'm asking of you and I'll make a way for you."   Somebody reminded me yesterday of a sermon I preached years ago about not letting our lives be guided merely by expedience. I'm glad she remembers, I don't! But, I am familiar with that line of thought. We are tempted to take the solution that 'makes the most sense' in the moment, to take the job that offers the most money, to move to the city that appeals to our natural desires. Sometimes common sense and the will of God are aligned, but if we will not trust Him to lead, how will we know that?

Did it make much sense for Abraham to leave Ur, an established city where his family lived, to go live in tents in Canaan? It took years for his faith to return a visible reward.
Did it make much sense for Noah to start building a boat 600 miles from any significant body of water? For 120 years, he was mocked as a fool, until the rain started.
Did it make sense for Daniel to maintain his habit of daily prayer when the king forbade it on the pain of death? He ended up in the lion's den, which God turned into a gateway to greater influence in the empire!

When God says, "trust Me!" remember that He is not a slick salesman trying to sucker you into a bad deal. His way is the path to life, abundant and eternal. Proverbs warns us that "There's a way that looks harmless enough; look again-it leads straight to hell." (Proverbs 16:25, The Message) If you are struggling with a decision: stop, look up, and listen carefully. Do not rush forward. Trust Him.  When He directs, do not argue. Obey!  

We trust Him most profoundly when we give up our attempts to 'be right' and accept His gift of grace and salvation. Like Paul, let's decide that "everything else is worthless when compared with the priceless gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I may have Christ and become one with him. I no longer count on my own goodness or my ability to obey God's law, but I trust Christ to save me." (Philippians 3, NLT)

Here's a word from the Word. Let's make it our trusting prayer for this day, leading us to greater obedience.
"Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation."
With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.
In that day you will say: "Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted.
Sing to the LORD, for he has done glorious things; let this be known to all the world." (Isaiah 12:2-5, NIV)

No comments: