Tuesday, June 12, 2012

One Tough Command!


As parts of Europe slide over the brink into economic oblivion, I wonder what the trans-Atlantic effect will be.  Will the bankrupt countries there pull our country into a deeper hole?  Much closer to home, I look at the earning years left to me and wonder if I’ll have enough to keep my life intact. Another visit to my physician’s office yesterday reminds me of the unavoidable process of aging. Plenty of concerns plot to take over my mind, to keep me on edge. From time to time, I allow them to do that very thing!  When I do, the character of Christ is hidden.  I find the following command that Jesus gave to us one of the toughest to keep: "Do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’" (Matthew 6:31, NIV)  Do you let yourself grow anxious?

Anxiety is very much a part of being an American. About one in five of us is affected.  We spend $billions on medications and therapies designed to help us cope.  Anxiety shows up in many ways:  panic attacks, refusal to leave home, insomnia, increased irritability, over-consumption of food, obsessive compulsive behaviors, and even depression. So, what can be done about this?

If we are prone to fear, we must  admit it.  Admit it? But, won’t anxiety overwhelm me if I acknowledge it?  No.  Facing our fears and dragging them out of the shadows is a primary way to defeat them. "When I am afraid, I will trust in you." (Psalm 56:3, NIV)  We can and should tell the Lord and someone we trust about our fears with honesty.

We choose to live wisely this day.  If we squander the opportunities to prepare for the future, our neglect will come collecting, with interest. My boys are facing their final exams at school this week.  If assignments are complete, studies done with diligence, the fear of failure is largely eliminated. If they played away the days, their fears are not baseless.  Want to experience peace in the future? Do what you know  is right today.  

Stay in the care of your Father! No matter how much we think we have made provisions, prepared, and done the right things; circumstances manage to go awry.  Appliances break. Illness comes. Kids rebel. Spouses walk. Heartbreak arrives.  It just doesn’t seem fair.  At that moment, we have a choice to bend or break, to grow bitter, or to pray for faith.  A father whose son was terribly tormented brought him to Jesus.  His desperation was tempered with some small hope that Jesus could do something to restore wholeness. “If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.” ”‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for him who believes.” Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”" (Mark 9:22-24, NIV)  I love that last phrase.  It finds its way into my prayers often. “I do believe, help me overcome my unbelief!”

Faith is both a choice we make and gift that God gives. We express faith when we choose obedience, though to do so makes our situation even more impossible.  Fearful today? Here’s the word from the Word:
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." (Hebrews 11:1, NIV)  "By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible." (Hebrews 11:3, NIV) "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." (Hebrews 11:6, NIV)  "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:2, NIV)

If we will do these things that tough command to cease worry will not be so tough after all, for we will be secure in faith in our Father.
______________________

Power Of Your Love- Bullock, Geoff

Lord, I come to You,
Let my heart be changed, renewed;
Flowing from the grace
That I've found in You;
And Lord, I've come to know,
The weaknesses I see in me,
Will be stripped away
By the pow'r of Your love.
Lord, unveil my eyes,
Let me see You face to face,
The knowledge of Your love
As You live in me.

Lord, renew my mind,
As Your will unfolds in my life,
In living ev'ry day
In the pow'r of Your love.

Hold me close,
Let Your love surround me;
Bring me near,
Draw me to Your side;
And as I wait,
I'll rise up like the eagle,
And I will soar with You,
Your Spirit leads me on
In the pow'r of Your love.

© 1992 Word Music, Inc.
(Admin. by Word Music Group, Inc.) / Maranatha! Music (Admin. by Word Music Group, Inc.) CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: