Monday, January 09, 2012

Prospering under the blessing of God


“Entry level position” is not a description that many want attached to a job offer! A common misconception, especially among the young, is that some training or a college degree will qualify them to begin a career making great money and carrying significant responsibility. In the real world, a person gains experience and proves his ability starting at the bottom of the ladder. I remember well my first church position. Though I was officially the ‘youth minister,’ the senior pastor regarded me mostly as a ‘go-fer’ and janitor! There was not a whole lot of fulfillment to be found in mopping the church’s bathrooms or picking up his mail from the post office, but it was my ‘entry level position.’  As I was faithful, the Lord saw fit to give me greater responsibility and with that came greater fulfillment.

Jesus told a teaching story about a king who prepared to journey to a far country. Prior to leaving, he distributed money to his servants for their management on his behalf.  When he returned he called each one in for accounting. The first reported, "Master, I invested your money and made ten times the original amount!’ “ ‘Well done!’ the king exclaimed. ‘You are a good servant. You have been faithful with the little I entrusted to you, so you will be governor of ten cities as your reward." (Luke 19:16-17, NLT) The next servant to come in likewise reported a five times gain. He was commended and rewarded for his diligence.

The story takes a turn with the next servant. “The third servant brought back only the original amount of money and said, ‘Master, I hid your money and kept it safe. I was afraid because you are a hard man to deal with, taking what isn’t yours and harvesting crops you didn’t plant.’ This man foolishly blames his failure to act on the king! His excuses earned him this rebuke. “You wicked servant!’ the king roared. ‘Your own words condemn you. If you knew that I’m a hard man who takes what isn’t mine and harvests crops I didn’t plant, why didn’t you deposit my money in the bank? At least I could have gotten some interest on it.’ Jesus is not teaching us that God is mean or unjust! We need to know that God seeks a return from our lives. If we waste time, refuse to use the spiritual gifts He invests in us, or ignore today’s opportunities supposedly as we wait for our big break in life, we will be held accountable. No excuse will stand before His scrutiny.

The final principle is most shocking to those of us who grew up in an entitlement society. God asks no more of us than we can produce, but He expects no less than our personal best. Failing that, we will lose even our entry level position. Take a look.  “Then, turning to the others standing nearby, the king ordered, ‘Take the money from this servant, and give it to the one who has ten pounds.’ “ ‘But, master,’ they said, ‘he already has ten pounds!’ “ ‘Yes,’ the king replied, ‘and to those who use well what they are given, even more will be given. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away." (Luke 19:20-26, NLT)

Do you want to prosper under the blessings of God? Be faithful, right where you are today.

Here’s a word from the Word. Live it and enjoy the blessings of our Father, who is good, gracious, and just. "The Lord answered, “Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom the master puts in charge of his servants to give them their food allowance at the proper time? It will be good for that servant whom the master finds doing so when he returns. I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions.  … From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." (Luke 12:42-44; 48, NIV)

Keep me true, Lord Jesus,
keep me true.
Keep me true, Lord Jesus,
keep me true.
There's a race that I must run,
There are victories to be won,
Ev'ry hour, by Your pow'r
Keep me true.

-      Public Domain

No comments: