Thursday, December 01, 2011

Dancing Over All These Graves

A few days ago the road in front of my home was being resurfaced. The flagman was positioned right at the end of my driveway from 8 AM to 4 PM so we interacted several times as I came and went through the day. He was amazing! I can’t think of many jobs that would be more boring than waving cars through a construction zone, yet he had a genuine smile on his face. He waved to kids and pleasantly greeted those he stopped. On a job that many would hate, he was making the most of his opportunities.

Is your life full of obligations or with opportunities? If you are living in God’s purpose, intent on discovering His plans, you have this promise: "God ...richly gives us all we need for our enjoyment." (1 Timothy 6:17, NLT) We are not asked to ignore unpleasant situations, nor must we try to turn pain into pleasure. But, if we choose His grace, we can live with joy in all circumstances. Joy honors our God, for it is evidence that His Spirit is living in us. Constant complaint reveals a lack of faith, a refusal to submit to the hand of God.

The people of Israel provide a negative lesson! God led them out of Egypt with marvelous signs. His Presence was visibly with them each day and night. He fed them with manna, enough for each day. All that is not say that they did not face challenges. Life was difficult for them. After living in fixed homes, they had become nomads. Their future was the Promised Land, but they faced a battle to possess it. Their failure was their refusal to accept all that He gave ‘for their enjoyment.’ They complained bitterly; about the food, against their leaders, and in every situation. From their ungratefulness came faithlessness, and from that came the curse of death!

Choose the joy of the Lord today!
Have challenges? Present them to the Lord, with the expectation of His grace. He may deliver you from them or He may lead you through them but He is equally God and gracious in either circumstance. Here is the word from the Word. Make it more than sentiment, a life principle.
"Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again-rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do.
Remember, the Lord is coming soon.
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.

Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.

Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."
(Philippians 4:4-7, NLT)

___________

I want the joy of the Lord to come down!
I want the joy of the Lord to fall now!
I want the joy of the Lord in my life.
I want the joy of the Lord to lift me!
I want the joy of the Lord to change me!
I want the joy of the Lord in my life.

It's time I started dancing
Over all these graves;
It's time I gave You, oh my Lord,
The highest praise;
It's time to lift my voice,
Oh, and beg for this blessing to fall.

The Joy of the Lord
© 2002 River Oaks Music Company (a div. of EMI Christian Music Publishing)
Rita Springer
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: