Monday, November 14, 2011

Pulling that load over the mountain!


One of my favorite childhood stories was The Little Engine That Could. The tale has been around for a hundred years, teaching children about sticking to their task. A little engine used to switch railcars in the local yard is called on to pull a long train of freight over a mountain. It succeeds while repeating “I think I can.”  We all go through seasons in our lives that demand much of us.  Responsibilities settle on us for which we feel only marginally prepared.  Situations develop that feel like they will drag us to a standstill.  I know that I am tempted, from time to time, to throw off the load and run!

While determination can be helpful as we chug along repeating “I think I can” – it has its limits! Optimism is no substitute for faith. The Believer’s blessing is the promise of the Spirit Who "dwells with you and will be in you." (John 14:17, NKJV)  We shift our focus from our determination to His empowerment. Our inspiration is no longer just, “I think I can;” it is “I know He will!”  When I feel the weight of many responsibilities, my natural response is to lean into the load and pull with all my might. Too often when I start to huff and puff, “I think I can, I think I can”   I become exhausted, get frustrated, grow angry, and discouragement usually follows.

Jesus offers us a better way. It is not retirement. It is not shirking responsibility. It is not finding some easier place. He says, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:29, NIV) A yoke was a device that balanced the load, that enables work to be shared. It is how we work with the Lord, not for Him. On this Monday morning, as the work week stretches out in front of us we need to make a decision to take the grace that is offered to us. God cares about that deadline. He knows the pressures that your boss is putting on you. He cares about those circumstances that defy your attempts to find an answer.

Let Him be your strength. Here’s an invitation. Will you accept it? "Now that we know what we have—Jesus, this great High Priest with ready access to God—let’s not let it slip through our fingers. We don’t have a priest who is out of touch with our reality. He’s been through weakness and testing, experienced it all—all but the sin. So let’s walk right up to him and get what he is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help." (Hebrews 4:14-16, The Message)

"Those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint." (Isaiah 40:31, NKJV)
______________


What A Friend we have in Jesus
All our sins and griefs to bear
What a privilege to carry
Ev'rything to God in prayer
O what peace we often forfeit
O what needless pain we bear
All because we do not carry
Ev'rything to God in prayer

Have we trials and temptations
Is there trouble anywhere
We should never be discouraged
Take it to the Lord in prayer
Can we find a friend so faithful
Who will all our sorrows share
Jesus know our ev'ry weakness
Take it to the Lord in prayer

Are we weak and heavy laden
Cumbered with a load of care
Precious Savior still our refuge
Take it to the Lord in prayer
Do thy friends despise forsake thee
Take it to the Lord in prayer
In His arms He'll take and shield thee
Thou wilt find a solace there

-      Public domain

No comments: