Monday, August 22, 2011

One size fits all?


One size fits all?

I appreciate clothing that fits well. I’m not much on style, preferring boring earth tones and plain dress, but when the fit is wrong, it irritates me. So, on those occasions when some article is advertised as ‘one size fits all,’ I smile and pass it by!  Some Christians bring that same idea to their practice of the faith. Their presentation of the Gospel never adapts to the person, place, or culture. What worked in one place or time becomes ‘the way it’s done.’ That’s not only foolish, it ignores the examples of the Scripture.

Paul said "When I am with the Gentiles who do not follow the Jewish law, I too live apart from that law so I can bring them to Christ. But I do not ignore the law of God; I obey the law of Christ. When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some. I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings." (1 Corinthians 9:21-23, NLT)  His personal preference, his place of comfort was squarely in the center of the Jewish traditions that had shaped his life from his childhood, but he was willing and able to step outside of those ways to reach out to Greeks and Romans to communicate Christ’s love in a manner they could understand.

Yes, some use that passage as an excuse to dive into the murky waters of sin. Paul was not suggesting we join the party and get drunk, that we sit down at the table of those who scheme to oppress the poor and endorse their greed, or that we adopt the profanity of the street to reach those who live there. But, he did not share the separatist ideas of the Pharisees among whom he had once walked either, men who openly showed their sense of disdain for those they considered sinners too far gone for the mercy of God, who prayed: ”I thank you, God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else." (Luke 18:11, NLT)

We cannot truly reach people with the Gospel IF we regard them as ‘those people’ with condescension! Increasingly, over the years, the Lord has worked in my life to help me to understand and identify with ‘the others’ that I once thought were beyond my reach. Often He has done this by breaking me, by bringing me into circumstances that revealed that in spite of superficial differences, I share a common human experience with those of varying background, race, education, and economic status. And the Gospel of Christ finds application to each one, in a very different way despite being an unchanging Truth!

Disciple, we are all called to the work of taking the Good News of God’s love and eternal life in Christ to our world. Jesus’ mission statement is not for some elite squad of super-Christians. It’s our mission: "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen." (Matthew 28:19-20, NKJV) But, one size does not fit all. Let the Spirit teach you how to love people where they are, how to identify with them at their point of need, how to communicate in a way they can understand.

Jude offers this which the word from the Word.  May it warn and inform us for this day. "Keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life. Be merciful to those who doubt; snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh." (Jude 21-23, NIV)
______________

Out in the highways and byways of life,
Many are weary and sad.
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife,
Making the sorrowing glad.

Tell the sweet story of Christ and His love;
Tell of His pow'r to forgive.
Others will trust Him if only you prove true
Every moment you live.

Make me a blessing, Make me a blessing,
Out of my life may Jesus shine;
Make me a blessing, O Savior I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

Make Me A Blessing

Wilson, Ira B. / Schuler, George S.
© 1924. Renewed 1952 Word Music, Inc. (a div. of Word Music Group, Inc.)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: