Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Crust of Self

Ah, the failures that come to us in the unguarded moment!  In the middle of a good and productive day, I allowed my temper to rise. I spoke in anger as passion eclipsed reason for a few moments!  Does it happen to you?  Does some noble desire become compromised by selfish interest?  We must, because of the sin nature that continues to war against good and God, remain vigilant and prayerful, asking God to keep us in His grace, to renew the likeness of Jesus in us. Each new day our motives need to be held up to the Light to see where any ugly stain of sin is spreading, corrupting even our best and highest intentions to do the will of God.

George MacDonald, a Scot preacher/poet who lived a century ago, wrote in his book, The Diary of An Old Soul:

With ev'ry morn my life afresh must break
The crust of self, gathered 'round me fresh;
That Thy wind-Spirit may rush in and shake
The darkness out of me, and rend the mesh
The spider-devil spins out of the flesh --
Eager to net the soul before it wakes,

That it my slumberous lie, and listen to the snake.


What an ugly line! Waking to break the 'crust of self.'    But, it is an accurate one. We break that shell that would block out the Spirit, so that the Life of God's Breath may bring us freedom, renewal, and the beauty of holiness.

The book of Genesis tells us that in the very beginning, "the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being." (Genesis 2:7, NIV) Apart from His breath, we remain 'dusty men!' But we need not remain creatures of the dirt, living to satisfy only the needs that press themselves on us so powerfully. The Spirit can make us noble and new, morning by morning.

Have you broken away the 'crust of self' today and invited the Spirit of God to breathe new life into your service, your worship, your words?

Here's a word from the Word to take with you through this day.
"Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love. Because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins." (Psalm 51:1, NLT)  "For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night." (Psalm 51:3, NLT)  "Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me. Do not banish me from your presence, and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you." (Psalm 51:10-12, NLT)
_________________________


Breathe on me, breath of God,
Fill me with life anew,
That I may love what Thou dost love,
And do what Thou wouldst do.
Breathe on me, breath of God,
Until my heart is pure.
Until with Thee I will one will,
To do and to endure.
Breathe on me, breath of God,
Till I am wholly Thine.
Until this earthly part of me
Glows with Thy fire divine.
Breath on me, breath of God,
So shall I never die,
But live with Thee
The perfect life
Of Thine eternity.
© Public Domain

No comments: