Friday, July 29, 2011

Two kinds of tired


There is a kind of exhaustion that follows a major effort. When I finish a weekend of ministry in which I see the Spirit move in our church, I am tired, but it is tempered by the joy of serving. I have never run a 10K race, but I am told by those who do that there is a kind of runner’s high that follows that kind of exertion. There is another kind of tired that is soul-numbing, that saps every bit of strength, leaving a person feeling like a deflated balloon! When the daily grind hides any progress, when you give all you have and results are meager, when sorrow piles on top of trouble piled on top of pain – a person gets really tired!

The latter kind of exhaustion sometimes produces spiritual casualties. People find themselves slogging through a tough time; one thing after another going wrong. Somewhere deep inside they blame God for their mess and abandon the One who is their richest resource.  I have heard it said, “If He’s God and good, why would He allow me to go through such a hard time? He doesn’t care about me.”  In that moment, the devil rejoices in the success of his deception!  So, should we offer explanations or sing songs to the weary one? Here’s a clue from Proverbs. "Singing cheerful songs to a person with a heavy heart is like taking someone’s coat in cold weather or pouring vinegar in a wound." (Proverbs 25:20, NLT) What that suffering saint needs is not reasons or explanations. He needs to be surrounded by love and patience.

Are you beat, numb, feeling that God is nowhere to be found? It’s not because you have a weak faith, or even necessarily because you have done wrong. You might have done a lot of good and right things! The Word encourages weary ones.

First, the Lord says – “Remember Jesus’ own experience!” God’s own Son endured exhaustion. "Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." (Hebrews 12:3, NIV)

Second, the Lord promises: “Faithfulness has a reward!”  "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." (Galatians 6:9, NIV)

Third, He offers help: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28, NIV) In the very next lines, Jesus does not offer an escape to a resort. Instead, He says, “Take my yoke upon you.”   He’s saying, “Learn how to work alongside of Me, in the way I work, with Me as your Partner in every effort.”  Have you presented that situation that exhausts your soul to Him? Instead of resisting it, fighting with it, and hating it; have you put it before Him and invited Him to step into the work with you?

Paul knew exhaustion! He knew hard times. He was given an ‘impossible’ calling. But, he never quit, never lost sight of the reward, and completed his calling with the help of the Lord. Here’s a word from the Word for weary souls. "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. … I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:11-13, NIV)  And, tired friend, you can, too!
________________


Precious Lord, take my hand
Lead me on, help me stand
I am tired, I am weak,
I am worn
Through the storm,
through the night
Lead me on to the light
Take my hand, precious Lord,
Lead me home

Precious Lord, Take My Hand
Copyright - Tommy Dorsey

No comments: