Monday, July 11, 2011

“Meeting Peak Demand”


 
I won’t bore you with a list of my responsibilities, but I will tell you that it’s long! A teenager looked at me after the youth meeting at church last night and said, “Pastor Jerry, are you all right?” I smiled and said that I was. Truthfully, I was so tired, I could have laid down and went to sleep on the sidewalk, then and there. It’s natural to think that all I have to do is just keep putting one foot in front of the other, pushing the load along. But, that’s not true.  Stephen Covey, in a good book on life principles, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, reminds us that working smart is as important as working hard. He calls it taking time to ‘sharpen the saw.’  He tells this story.

Suppose you were to come upon someone in the woods working feverishly to saw down a tree.
"What are you doing?" you ask.
"Can't you see?" comes the impatient reply. "I'm sawing down this tree."
"You look exhausted!" you exclaim. "How long have you been at it?"
"Over five hours," he returns, "and I'm beat! This is hard work."
"Well, why don't you take a break for a few minutes and sharpen the saw?" you inquire. "I'm sure
it would go a lot faster."
"I don't have time to sharpen the saw," the man says emphatically. "I'm too busy sawing!"

We can just keep sawing away and waste a lot of energy in inefficiency, or we can take time to gather resources, prepare for challenges, and evaluate. Jesus Christ teaches us about renewal.  Here’s His invitation:  “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, NIV)

First, He says, "Come to me."
We're very foolish if we let life responsibilities keep us from prayer, worship, and reflection. Remember that old saying about 'the tyranny of the urgent causing us to ignore the important?' I am thankful I can step away from it all and worship Him. He restores my soul.

Second, He tells us to "Take my yoke upon you." God is not anti-work! Even in the paradise of Eden there was work to do.  Being a disciples does not give us a pass from toil or tears. Jesus says that there is a yoke, an object of for labor, for us all.  But, He says, If a yoke was ill-fitting, it chafed and made sores on the bearer of the burden. If it fit right, it lightened the load and made it possible to accomplish much more. Jesus calls us to service. That service will often demand much from us, but if we're putting on the yoke He's prepared for us, He will be there to bear the weight with us.

Third, He says, "Learn from me!" Jesus knew the rhythms of work/rest; giving out/ taking in! He gave His all to the people He loved, but made sure to step away to be with His Father. Throughout the Gospels we find Him withdrawing from the ministry to pray and be alone with God. It's such a simple lesson, but so easily ignored, isn't it?  When we try to keep on going, pushing ourselves when we need to find a quiet place with Him to breathe in the Breath of the Spirit, we rob ourselves of effectiveness and joy.

Are responsibilities piling up and resources growing scarce?
Are people in your life asking more from you than you think you can produce?
Has the Evil One sent a demon to torment you?

Here’s the word from the Word, repeated from above, but from a contemporary translation. Read it. Heed it!
"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion?
Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life.
I’ll show you how to take a real rest.
Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you."
Matthew 11:28-29 (The Message)

"Look at me. I stand at the door. I knock. If you hear me call and open the door, I’ll come right in and sit down to supper with you. Conquerors will sit alongside me at the head table, just as I, having conquered, took the place of honor at the side of my Father. That’s my gift to the conquerors!" Revelation 3:20-21 (The Message)
_________________________

You are my hiding place.
You always fill my heart
with songs of deliverance.
Whenever I am afraid,
I will trust in You.
I will trust in You.

Let the weak say,
"I am strong in the strength of the Lord."
You are my hiding place.
You always fill my heart
with songs of deliverance.
Whenever I am afraid,
I will trust in You.
I will trust in You.

Michael Ledner
© 1981 Maranatha! Music (Admin. by The Copyright Company)CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: