Monday, June 06, 2011

Great Worship, Pastor!


Yes, I am human enough to appreciate when somebody says they thought our church gathering was good. Since I'm the guy 'managing our church services' I am quick to think about the mechanics of the 90 or so minutes we spend together on Sunday morning.  Did the people seem to enjoy being there?  Did the technology; sound, PowerPoint presentations, projectors, air conditioning, all work properly?  Yes, and as a communicator, I then to think about if the congregation grasped the main points and/or stayed interested in the sermon. How easily I allow myself to get caught up with all of the 'human elements' of worship. And, if I do this I am inevitably dissatisfied with the experience of worship because a performance can always be improved.

Kierkegaard, a 19th century theologian, turned worship, as it was then conceived, upside down by insisting that worship is focused entirely on God and He alone is the audience for the acts of worship. Our songs, sermons, and prayers are offered up to Him; the 'Audience of One.' The question that becomes important is this one: am I pleasing to God? That question extends our worship beyond 'church' and into every part of my life. I am as much a worshipper in my office as I am in the pew, in my private reverie in my backyard as in the public proclamations of my pulpit!

As you begin this new week, let me encourage you to consider your life as an extension of worship. We do not just worship Him in our church buildings. David's Psalm captures the true heart of worship with this prayer: "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer." (Psalm 19:14, NLT)

Matt Redman's song, Heart of Worship, says, "I'll bring You more than a song for a song in itself is not what You have required.  You search much deeper within through the way things appear. You're looking into my heart!" © 1999 Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)

Do something radical today. Hold a worship service in your car as you drive to work, or at lunch, or even in a conversation with your kids. How? Find a way to tell the Lord how much He means to you right then and there, a 12 second worship encounter. That's the heart of worship! I know this: if we are worshippers who learn to worship Him everywhere, all the time; if we 'connect' with His Presence during our commute, in our living rooms, at the lunch room table - we will be better worshippers when we come together for corporate worship because we won't be trying 'catch up' on our acquaintance, we will be coming together to celebrate a mutual Friend.

Here is the word from the Word.
"It's who you are and the way you live that count before God.
Your worship must engage your spirit in the pursuit of truth.
That's the kind of people the Father is out looking for:
those who are simply and honestly themselves before him in their worship.

God is sheer being itself-Spirit.
Those who worship him must do it out of their very being,
their spirits, their true selves, in adoration."
  The Message, John 4:23-24
 
____________________

The Heart Of Worship

When the music fades
All is stripped away
And I simply come
Longing just to bring
Something that's of worth
That will bless Your heart

I'm coming back
To the heart of worship
And it's all about You
All about You Jesus
I'm sorry Lord
For the thing I've made it
When it's all about You
All about You Jesus

King of endless worth
No one could express
How much You deserve
Though I'm weak and poor
All I have is Yours
Ev'ry single breath

I'll bring You more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear
You're looking into my heart

© 1999 Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
Matt Redman
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: