Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Raining Sideways

A good storm does my heart good every now and then. Last night the wind blew so hard and the rain came down so heavily, it appeared to be raining sideways! And, I watched it all snug and dry from my window. In light of the terrible devastation and loss of life that storms brought to the South, and more recently to Joplin, Missouri, I felt a shiver of fear. It is that fear that is good for me! How so, you ask? The fury reminded me of how very dependent I am on God, how little real strength I have when it comes to controlling my life. In our world of controlled temperatures, pain-controlling medicines, clocks, and agendas, the illusion of being 'master of the universe' can overtake us. A furious storm is an object lesson in faith!

The last four years in my life have significantly deepened my life and created a much wider tolerance for life's mysteries in me. I walked alongside of my Dad through the valley of the shadow of death and then placed him in a grave. That's a furious storm!  Sixteen months ago, my own health gave way and I faced major surgery for the first time. Another furious storm! Last summer, Mom received a diagnosis of cancer and I am living through yet another storm. I will not lie.  It's not been easy, nor have I always been a tower of strength. God knows those moments when I have wept like a child, feeling the terror of helplessness. Relieved of my need to be large and in charge, I find Him to be my Friend, my Strength.

Jesus disciples were educated by a storm, too. Mark tells the story about a crossing of the Sea of Galilee. A sudden squall blew. Waves whipped up, spilling into the little boat. The Bible says that they 'feared exceedingly.'  (The NT Greek is almost modern there - 'phobos megas' )  They were mega-afraid!  They screamed at Jesus. "Don't you care if we perish?"  Listen to Mark telling the story as he had heard from Peter, who was there! "When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Silence! Be still!" Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. Then he asked them, "Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?" The disciples were absolutely terrified. "Who is this man?" they asked each other. "Even the wind and waves obey him!" (Mark 4:39-41, NLT) A whole new revelation emerged from their fear.

Are you shaking in the fury of a storm? I know it's not at all enjoyable. Life is out of control. Perhaps you, too, feel phobos megas! Let your need to try to control it slip away. Cry out to Jesus. Confess complete faith. Pray the heart-broken prayer that a desperate Dad uttered to Jesus when all hope seemed lost- "Lord, I do believe! Help me overcome my unbelief." (Mark 9:24) He is there, He is near.

Here's a word from the Word. If a storm is shaking your world today, adopt this passage as a foundation of worship.
"A Psalm of David.
O Lord, our Lord,
How excellent is Your name in all the earth,
Who have set Your glory above the heavens!
Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants You have ordained strength,
Because of Your enemies,
That You may silence the enemy and the avenger.

When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and the stars, which You have ordained,
What is man that You are mindful of him,
And the son of man that You visit him?"

(Psalm 8:1-4, NKJV)
______________


Praise You In This Storm

I was sure by now
God You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again I'll say amen
And it's still rainin'

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper
Through the rain
I'm with You
And as Your mercy falls
I'll raise my hands
And praise the God who gives
And takes away

And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And ev'ry tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm


© 2005 Word Music, LLC | BanaHama Tunes | My Refuge Music | Sony/ATV Tree Publishing (a div. of Word Music Group, Inc.) | (Admin. by Word Music Group, Inc.) | (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing) | (Admin. by Sony/ATV Songs LLC)
Bernie Herms | Mark Hall
CCLI License No. 810055

Casting Crowns - Praise You In This Storm (Lyrics)
Casting Crowns - Praise You In This Storm (Lyrics)

No comments: