Friday, March 11, 2011

MegaMillions? Give what you’ve got

The billboard grabbed my attention: MegaMillions – $127 Million payout. Yes, I suppose that I should not have noticed, but I did. I got lost for a few moments in a daydream. I saw myself paying off my kid’s school loans, helping get a business started, providing funds to a struggling ministry, paying for much needed improvements on the church and school buildings. It was fun, but a waste of time. I was lost in a fantasy! I confessed my foolishness to the Lord and thanked Him that He provides every resource I need. If I had great wealth and did all those things of my daydream, it would likely hurt more than help, short-circuiting the very necessary processes of maturity for others.

We can invest in the lives of others even without having $millions. In Christ, we have been given amazing grace, infinite love, abundant mercy, astonishing kindness... need I go on? People need those things more than money! Ever watched a person respond to love and encouragement? For about a year, at the parent’s request, I have met with a little girl for a few moments about every two weeks. We sit and talk about the things that matter to her. They are not world shaking events but they are important to her. I affirm her desire to please God, share some words of encouragement, and let her know that she’s loved. It’s a gift that costs me next to nothing, but her Mom tells me it means the world to that child who has gained self-esteem and confidence – just from being loved!

It’s been my privilege to tell the story of Jesus to hundreds of people, often at a time in their lives when everything was dark, when things were confusing, when others were writing them off as failures, as hopeless. Few things can begin to compare with the joy I feel when I see the seed of the Gospel take root, see a relationship with God, the Heavenly Father, begin, and watch that person find a new and whole life as they learn to live in the Spirit. It costs me so little to invest so greatly.

When Jesus commissioned his followers for their first outreach, He told them: "Freely you have received, freely give." (Matthew 10:8, NIV) There is something implied in that statement that we need to remember: we cannot give away what we do not possess! God has eternal wealth, great riches of the Spirit’s gifts available to us. Have we received them so that we can give lavishly? When we possess the riches of God, not just in word but in our hearts, we will gain a liberal heart, a generous spirit that overflows. We will take notice of the hurts, the sorrows, the pain of those around us and give them from the store of love that we have received from the Lord.

The Word observes the principle of reciprocity: "It is possible to give freely and become more wealthy, but those who are stingy will lose everything. The generous prosper and are satisfied; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed." (Proverbs 11:24-25,NLT)
Jesus states it simply -"Give away your life; you'll find life given back, but not merely given back—given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity." (Luke 6:38, The Message)

For a few moments, right now, thank God for the riches you have been given in Christ Jesus. Here’s a word from the Word for your mediation. "God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." (2 Corinthians 9:8, NIV) Then, go-- and give it away! We don’t need to win Megamillions to be rich! We already have access to heaven’s wealth. Have fun blessing people with love, kindness, mercy, goodness that you own in the rich storehouse to which God has given you the key!

__________________

Touch Through Me

Touch through me, Holy Spirit,
Touch through me.
Let my hands reach out to others
Touch through me.
There's a lonely soul somewhere
Needing just one friend to care.
Touch through me, Holy Spirit,
Touch through me.

My hands will be Your hands
Reaching out to others.
My lips will not be slothful,
Lord, to speak.
I will be that good Samaritan
To someone else in need.
I will be Your house to dwell in
Live through me.

Love through me, Holy Spirit,
Love through me.
I will be my brother's keeper,
Love through me.
Hearts are bleeding deep inside,
Love can dry the weeping eyes,
Love through me, Holy Spirit,
Love through me.

Flow through me, Holy Spirit,
Flow through me.
Like a river in the desert,
Flow through me.
Springing fountain, healing stream,
Living water, pure and clean,
Flow through me, Holy Spirit,
Flow through me.

Rambo, Dottie
© 1981 John T. Benson Publishing Company (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc., 741 Coolsprings Blvd., Franklin TN 37067)

CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: