Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Conceit of Competence

Are you a conceited Christian? Most of us begin our faith walk with God in desperation; our cry like that of an infant. “Oh, God, help me!” In a short time, when we’re back on our feet, doing good, the temptation comes ‘round to start believing how great we’re doing. Unconsciously the focus shifts from 'I serve at the Lord’s pleasure,' to 'Lord, do this, please.' Yes, I am writing autobiographically here. Perhaps that is one reason God lets my path take me through dark valleys and difficult days. He needs to remind me to trust Him- wholly.


Ben Patterson, a fellow pastor, mentored me with his writing over the years, sharing authentically and transparently, his journey of faith and ministry. His conceit was revealed to him during a life trial.

• "For 6 weeks I was totally out of commission. During that time I crossed a frontier in my prayer life... toward the end of my convalescence, I had a conversation with the Lord that went something like this: 'These times of prayer have been sweet. I've actually had time to pray for every single person in this congregation, every day. It's too bad I won't have time to do this when I get back to work.' The Lord's reply was quick and blunt. 'Stupid, you have the same 24 hours when you're well as when you are sick. The trouble with you, Ben, is that when you're well, you think you're in charge; when you're sick you know you're not.' " - Leadership, Winter, 2005

Do you ever mistake activity for genuine work, doing things for accomplishing something real? The conceited Christian will quickly burn out, grow disgusted and ill-tempered - not because God asks too much of him, but because he does not ask enough of God! Convinced of his own competence, he takes charge, and charges after his own agenda, not the Lord’s. Listen to how many times the personal pronoun “I” creeps into your conversation. If you or I are convinced that we are getting God’s work done, all by ourselves, ugly things start to happen in us, around us, and yes; because of us! Failing to seek God's ability, we become frustrated by our inability. The Bible turns us again to His sufficiency!

Take a look: "Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain. In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat— for He grants sleep to those he loves." (Psalm 127:1-2, NIV)

We need to know this:
Whatever callings and gifts we may have, they are of little use and less effect apart from the grace and power of God!

God called Moses to greatness while he was a failed prince and fugitive murderer, living in exile, tending a flock of sheep on the backside of the desert. The LORD told him to go back to Egypt and to prepare the people to return to the Promised Land. It was a tough assignment! He wondered how would he inspire a people enslaved by a powerful nation to leave behind the lives they had formed for centuries in the land of Egypt? Creating a new vision for a nation is a daunting challenge! Knowing that there was no 'up side' for the king to release his work force, Moses could see no earthly reason that the Pharaoh would let Israel go. So, Moses refuses the commission of God, at first, proclaiming himself unfit and unable. After, God shows him His power, he surrendered himself to the will of God, asking a question that intrigues me: "Who should I tell these people has sent me? What's your Name?" The LORD reveals His majesty saying, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ (Exodus 3:14, NKJV)

We who would do God’s work in this world need to go to that place of commissioning again and again. We are sent by “The Self-Existent One, The One Without First Cause.- the Great I AM!” He asks much of us; our very lives! He requires that we use the gifts He's given to us diligently, and that we press on to do His work and His will. BUT, He doesn't not leave us without resources, orphaned, or desperate. Jesus promised to be with us, by the Spirit, "day after day after day, right up to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20, The Message)

How are you responding to God today?
Are you living in the conceit of your own intellect, education, skills, or charisma?
Are you trying to get Him to help you do your work, OR are you letting go of control and putting yourself at His disposal to do His work?

Thank God for the resources you have, then place them at His command. It’s amazing what God can do with us. Let’s let Him.

__________________________

Oh Lord, You're beautiful,
Your face is all I seek,
For when Your eyes are on this child,
Your grace abounds to me.

Oh Lord, please light the fire,
That once burned bright and clear.
Replace the lamp of my first love,
That burns with holy fear.

I wanna take Your Word
And shine it all around.
First help me just to live it, Lord!
And when I'm doing well,
Help me to never seek a crown,
For my reward is giving glory to You.

Oh Lord You're Beautiful-- Green, Keith
© 1980 Birdwing Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing; Admin. by BMG Music Publishing) / BMG Songs, Inc. (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing; Admin. by BMG Music Publishing) CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: