Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Crosswinds and Course Corrections

One sunny afternoon, when I was a student pilot, I set off on a solo flight to an airport 140 miles due west. About a half hour into my flight, a check on maps revealed a disparity between where I thought I was and where I actually was located! In a few moments, I established that I was far from the course that I had planned to fly. My airplane was pointed in the right direction, but because I was a novice, I did not correct for the cross winds that were blowing me far south of my true course. If I had kept my flight charts open and checked them, the need to adjust my course would have been obvious early on.

It is possible to think you're making great progress while traveling in the wrong direction! At this year's end, we have the opportunity to check our progress in life. We need to ask ourselves some hard questions, make certain that we are 'on course.'

Think that your life is going in the right direction because you're feeling good, having fun, and are self-satisfied? You need a better compass than that!

Nothing compares to the wisdom of the Scripture, the counsel of mature Believers, the guidance of the Spirit, and the practice of regular corporate worship for keeping our lives headed for Heaven, on course with the Lord’s plans. More than just doing 'good' things, a disciple is called to live in the purposes of God. Rick Warren coined the phrase, the "purpose driven life." Instead of letting life happen to us, reacting to situations that develop around us as we drift from day to day, that we learn what God desires of us, set our course, and fulfill His plans. Through the preacher Jeremiah God told His people who had let themselves fall far from their holy calling that He had not forgotten or forsaken them. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:11-13, NIV)

In order to find those plans and that promised destiny, we must commit ourselves to obedience and regular course corrections, asking:

"Am I making the choices God wants me to make or following my own desires?
Am I consistently doing what is right or taking the easy way of expedience?
Am I intentionally growing in character or drifting with the crowd and the current?"

The dawning of a New Year is good time for a course correction. Spend some time prayerfully about your life. Ask the Holy Spirit to make you aware of those choices you're making that need to be brought into line with the purposes of God. The Bible offers this sobering thought: "We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. … how shall we escape if we ignore such a great salvation?" (Hebrews 2:3, NIV)

Are you tolerating a habit in your life that you know is not pleasing to Him, determine today to change course. Don't wait until you're far from the Way! And know this, too; everyone of us, even those who make good God-honoring decisions from day to day, deals with crosswinds. Temptations threaten to blow us off course. Illness, job loss, and internal stress – plus many other factors beyond our control - bring storms that can blow us far from our intended destination in life if we’re just drifting along. If we are guided by the Spirit, they will not take us from His purposes!

Here's a word from the Word. There is wonderful promise for those who are steady, eyes fixed on the Lord. Let these ancient words speak to you today.

"You’re blessed when you stay on course, walking steadily on the road revealed by God.
You’re blessed when you follow his directions, doing your best to find him.
That’s right—you don’t go off on your own; you walk straight along the road he set.
You, God, prescribed the right way to live; now you expect us to live it.
Oh, that my steps might be steady, keeping to the course you set;
Then I’d never have any regrets in comparing my life with your counsel.

I thank you for speaking straight from your heart;
I learn the pattern of your righteous ways. "
(Psalm 119:1-7, The Message)

_______________

Oh, lead me to the place
Where I can find You.
Oh, lead me to the place
Where You'll be.

Lead me to the cross
Where we first met,
Draw me to my knees
So we can talk.

Let me feel Your breath,
Let me know
You're here with me.

Oh Lead Me
Smith, Martin
© 1994 Curious? Music UK (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)

CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: