Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Can these bones live again?

Ezekiel’s famous vision of ‘dry bones’ defines revival for me! The prophet saw a valley full of old, dry bones and at the Lord’s command, preached the Word of the Lord to those bones. Before his eyes they rattled, arranged into skeletons, took on flesh; and the wind of the Spirit blew over them restoring life. What a vision. “Speak a prophetic message to these bones and say, ‘Dry bones, listen to the word of the Lord!" (Ezekiel 37:4, NLT) "So I spoke the message as he commanded me, and breath came into their bodies. They all came to life and stood up on their feet—a great army." (Ezekiel 37:10, NLT)

Revival is not a series of church meetings that bring a passing surge of emotion or enthusiasm. Revival is not a resurgence of some great moral cause, nor is it the renewal of commitment to a building or program. Revival is not recovering some moment of personal glory or even the restoration of youthful vigor! I would love to see some of those things happen in my life! But, what I truly desire is that dry bones will live again by the Spirit, prepared to go out to this generation to do the work of God in this time, as He purposes it to be done.

Do you desire revival, disciple?
Does your life resemble a valley of dry bones?

Review these promises and see what God will do.
"Won’t you revive us again, so your people can rejoice in you?" (Psalm 85:6, NLT)
“O Lord, revive thy work in the midst of the years.” (Habakkuk 3:2, KJV)

"For this is what the high and lofty One says— he who lives forever, whose name is holy: “I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite." (Isaiah 57:15, NIV)

“Come, let us return to the Lord. He has torn us to pieces; now he will heal us. He has injured us; now he will bandage our wounds. In just a short time he will restore us, so that we may live in his presence." (Hosea 6:1-2, NLT)

We cannot produce revival!
It is a huge mistake to think that we can make it happen. We can prepare for revival, however. How?

First, we pray. In our prayers we confess our desire and ask the Lord to send the rain that refreshes.

Second, we humble ourselves, acknowledging Who He is – Majesty enthroned - and we are – His children in need.

Third, we turn to Him; “here I am, Lord; all that I am, all that I am not. It is You I desire more than anything or anyone.”

Here’s the word from the Word. May it live in you, the seed from which the promise grows.
“Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They indeed say, ‘Our bones are dry, our hope is lost, and we ourselves are cut off!’ Therefore prophesy and say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord God:


“Behold, O My people, I will open your graves and cause you to come up from your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel. Then you shall know that I am the Lord, when I have opened your graves, O My people, and brought you up from your graves.


I will put My Spirit in you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I, the Lord, have spoken it and performed it,” says the Lord.’ ” (Ezekiel 37:11-14, NKJV)

_____________________

No comments: