Thursday, July 29, 2010

A privileged son

Monday I visited my Mom’s home. When I arrived, I walked right in with a yell announcing my arrival! Going to the refrigerator, I looked for something to eat. I sat down at her computer and checked my email. I would not take such liberties if I visited most homes because I do not enjoy the familial ties that provide me with the privileges I enjoy at Mom’s house. Though it is not my home, I am her son and need not act as a guest while I am there.

The Scripture says, "Because of Christ and our faith in him, we can now come boldly and confidently into God’s presence." (Ephesians 3:12, NLT) In another passage, we are reminded that we are children with privileges. "This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It’s adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike “What’s next, Papa?” God’s Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who he is, and we know who we are: Father and children." (Romans 8:15-16, The Message)

\Do you enjoy that kind of relationship with your God?
Or, are you still cowering before a Deity that terrifies you, guilty and ashamed? Through Christ, we are forgiven the sins that previously caused us to feel only fear in the Father’s Presence! Now, we can and should live with a humble confidence, a daily conversation with the One who loves us most. What a privilege!

Is there something in your life that is stressing you, keeping you awake at night, making your head ache? Share it with the Father. With child-like faith go to Papa and ask His wisdom, His comfort, His resources for your need. Don’t be shy; be boldly confident. For example, on Monday, my left knee was causing me real pain. Every step I took, was a reminder of my aging body. In prayer that evening, I asked Papa to make it better! I asked Him to show me if there was something I was doing to contribute to my pain and to heal me. Tuesday, I awakened to find the pain gone. In simple faith, I thanked Him for that blessing. Like any good father, He may not do what you want Him to do, but He will do what is best for you. If He corrects you, it is because He loves you.

Rejoice with Him, too. Go often and give thanks for the joys of life.

Here’s a word from the Word. “You parents—if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him." (Matthew 7:9-11, NLT)

Don’t live like an orphaned child today. Exercise the privileges given you through your adoption into the family of God, through Christ Jesus, our Lord.

__________________

Sometimes I feel discouraged,
And think my life in vain.
I'm tempted then to murmur,
And of my lot complain.
But when I think of Jesus,
And all He's done for me,
Then I cry, O Rock of Ages,
Hide Thou me.

O Rock of Ages, hide Thou me.
No other refuge have I but Thee.
When life's dark vale I wander,
Far, far from Thee.
Then I cry, O Rock of Ages,
Hide Thou me.

Hide Thou Me
Harris, Thoro / Tolbert, L.R.
© 1926. Renewed 1953 Singspiration Music (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc., 741 Coolsprings Blvd., Franklin TN 37067)

CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: