Thursday, July 01, 2010

The Organizing Principle

I am a Christian. My life is organized around that commitment to Jesus Christ. My desire to know Him and to live as He taught is the core from which the rest of my life is conducted. From Him comes my hope. I use my time and resources in ways that I believe honor Jesus. I live in love, with forgiveness, seeking purity in my relationships as He taught. Is my every thought, word, and deed perfectly aligned with His will? Oh that they were, but they are not- not just yet. Sometimes I fail because of ignorance; sometimes because of indolence, and sometimes because of self-will!

What is the organizing principle of your life?
We all have one, even if we are not aware of what it is or are unable to put it into words. Is it to be happy, to have fun? Is it to be admired by others? Is it to find pleasure? Is it to gain wealth? Is it to control your world, to be ‘in charge?’

Jesus visited the home of his friends in Bethany. Martha set the household in motion to prepare dinner. In the middle of her efforts, she noticed her sister, Mary, sitting near Jesus, listening intently to Him. She exploded in frustration. “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.” (Luke 10:40, NLT) Jesus did not share her frustration or sense of urgency. In fact, He challenged Martha’s basic organizing principle by commending Mary! "There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:42, NLT) Martha’s life was built around things that were appreciated by others, but not eternal or Godly!

Take some time to think about what you’re living for, friend. Go beyond awareness of what you do to think about why you do it! It is quite possible for us to do all the right things for all the wrong reasons. Jesus pointed to the prayers, service, and giving of the Pharisees, commending their diligence while telling His disciples that it was all worthless – because they were not focused on pleasing God, but gaining admiration. Their organizing principle was creating a reputation for holiness rather than living holy lives that allowed them to be intimate with a holy God. The core was flawed and therefore their entire structure was wrong!

Ponder these words from the Word today. They are both full of hope and deeply challenging. Ask yourself if pursuing Christ and His rule is ‘the one thing’ that organizes all the rest of your life.
"Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ, … I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. …

I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." (Philippians 3:8, 10, 12-14, NLT)
________________________

I belong to a mighty God,
I belong to Jesus;
I'm guided by His staff and rod,
I belong to a mighty God.

I belong to the Holy One,
I belong to Jesus;
His work in me has just begun,
I belong to the Holy One.

I belong to the Lord of All,
I belong to Jesus;
I'll stand in Him and will not fall,
I belong to the Lord of All.

I am justified
By the good gift of the Lord;
And I will testify
That I belong to a mighty God,
I belong to a mighty God.

I Belong To A Mighty God
DeShazo, Lynn
© 1993 Integrity's Hosanna! Music (c/o Integrity Music, Inc.)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: