Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The only good fear

Whenever I let fear become the dominant emotion in my life, I say and do things I regret. Fear makes me defensive, turning my focus inward. When I grow fearful, I am not loving, unwilling to risk the rejection that is always a possibility when I open my heart to another. Fear steals hope and makes me possessive, wanting more ‘things’ that quiet the tumult for a while. It causes me to become petty, driven by insecurity to look for my worth in things like the number of people in church, how many nice comments come my way after a sermon, or who speaks to me (or fails to do). From a purely natural point of view, there is much to fear! The world in which we live is tumultuous. Maturity (that’s just a way of saying, ‘growing old’) has increased my appreciation of the riskiness that is part of daily living.

Cultivating faith is the only answer! Ironically, deep faith is born of profound fear; the fear of the Lord. When we tame God, reducing Him to fit our preconceived ideas about Who He is, we grow fearful in this world. When we ponder His majesty, remember His works, and contemplate the Word, we catch a glimpse of His true nature. No one can see even a small part of Who He is and not tremble. Just a few descriptors of Him include: “Beginning and End, Judge of all the Earth, Maker of Heaven and Earth, the One who sets up kings and takes them down, and Discerner of even the thoughts and intents of every heart.”

When I let God be truly God instead of some caricature of Him created in my own mind, He releases me from my fears and faith grows. Here’s what the Psalmist says. "Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who finds great delight in his commands." (Psalm 112:1, NIV) Awe creates a desire to do good, to subjugate my will to His. The same Psalm continues with this promise: "Surely he will never be shaken; a righteous man will be remembered forever. He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. His heart is secure, he will have no fear; in the end he will look in triumph on his foes." (Psalm 112:6-8, NIV) Go back and read those lines again. Isn’t that how you want to live – securely, fearlessly, with hope for the future?

My response to fear need not be the things I wrote about in the opening of this thought. What if I choose to worship Him instead? Instead of trying to stand on my own trembling legs, what if I bow my knees before Him? "I will bow down … and will praise your name for your love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word. When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted." (Psalm 138:2-3, NIV)

Are you fearful today? There is only one good fear – the fear of the Lord. Go before Him, reverently, yet in full confidence of His love. Tell Him of the things that make you afraid. That is not lack of faith. But remember to take the next step to worship. Praise Him for His greatness. Praise Him that He is eternal, that His purposes prevail. You will find your fear of this present world eclipsed by the fear of the Lord from whom comes peace.

__________________
I have made You too small in my eyes
O Lord, forgive me;
And I have believed in a lie
That You were unable to help me.
But now, O Lord, I see my wrong,
Heal my heart and show Yourself strong;
And in my eyes and with my song,
O Lord, be magnified,
O Lord, be magnified.

I have leaned on the wisdom of men,
O Lord, forgive me;
And I have responded to them
Instead of Your light and Your mercy.
But now, O Lord, I see my wrong,
Heal my heart and show Yourself strong;
And in my eyes and with my song,
O Lord, be magnified,
O Lord, be magnified.

Be magnified, O Lord,
You are highly exalted;
And there is nothing You can't do,
O Lord, my eyes are on You.
Be magnified, O Lord,
Be magnified.

Be Magnified
DeShazo, Lynn

© 1991 Integrity's Hosanna! Music (c/o Integrity Music, Inc.)

CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: