Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Who are you really?

I’m ready to weep as I write today. I’m just overcome by the failure of integrity that is all around me. I recently learned of scandalous behavior by a leading member of a well-respected Christian institution that has gone on for a long time unchallenged despite being known. The Roman Catholic church continues to be rocked by reports of how bishops covered the criminal and immoral actions of pedophile priests, in not just a few instances. Our political world in these United States is so corrupt it is sickening. Many in office are owned by special interests and offer sweet inside deals to friends and supporters. Coaches, pastors, CEO’s – regularly are exposed as frauds in our news reports. What’s happening to us?

But, I must not simply wring my hands over the wrong-doing I see in the world. I must interrogate myself, challenge every motive, and throw open my life to the Spirit’s inspection.
Would my business decisions stand up to rigorous scrutiny?
Am I the same man in my private world as I am in the pulpit?
Do the values of my life match those I preach in my rhetoric?
These are questions I put to myself and prayerfully to the Lord.

I am not sinless! Oh, that I were, but, I am transparent and, when challenged, by the Spirit or others, I aim to deal with the gaps in character they point out to me. Why? Because I feel the awesome responsibility and privilege of bearing the Name of Christ as my first identity. Before I am a husband, a father, a pastor, or a friend; I am a Christian! I hear, loudly and clearly, the call of the Scripture that says "I … beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called. … that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness." (Ephesians 4:1, 22-24, NKJV)

Disciple, we must not merely talk about being good. We must actually be good people, for God’s sake! If our claim of faith in Christ Jesus does not have a marked affect on our values, our manner of speech, and our daily actions, we are a disgrace to the glorious cause of Christ. Again and again, the Word declares that the life of the Spirit in us will produce a transformed heart and mind. Apparently for many Christians repentance has been abandoned in favor of cheap grace. With great gusto, they sing of God’s love and mercy while stealing from their boss and cheating on their wife. Or, they major on only a few areas of morality while ignoring issues that would touch their own lives. How easily some thunder about abortion or homosexuality, while they lie to their wife about the own fidelity!

Jesus’ most harsh criticism was reserved for the religious leaders who scrupulously tithed, kept the Sabbath, and wore the symbols of their holiness all the while ignoring the greed, dishonesty, and corruption in their own hearts. Read His word thoughtfully today, disciple. May they challenge you to a life of integrity that honors the Lord, to a life of transparency that aspires to be all that God desires of you while pretending nothing before Him or the world.
“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees.
Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.
Blind guides! You strain your water so you won’t accidentally swallow a gnat, but you swallow a camel!
What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees.
Hypocrites! For you are so careful to clean the outside of the cup and the dish, but inside you are filthy—full of greed and self-indulgence! You blind Pharisee! First wash the inside of the cup and the dish, and then the outside will become clean, too." (Matthew 23:23-26, NLT)
_________________

Take time to be holy.
Speak oft with thy Lord;
Abide in Him always,
And feed on His Word.
Make friends with God's children;
Help those who are weak,
Forgetting in nothing
His blessing to seek.

Take time to be holy.
The world rushes on;
Spend much time in secret
With Jesus alone.
By looking to Jesus,
Like Him thou shalt be;
Thy friends in thy conduct
His likeness shall see.

Take time to be holy,
Be calm in thy soul;
Each thought and each motive
Beneath His control;
Thus led by His Spirit
To fountains of love,
Thou soon shalt be fitted
For service above.

Take Time To Be Holy
Longstaff, William D. / Stebbins, George C.



© Public Domain

CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: