Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Are you ‘God-aware?’

There are people who bumble their way through the day with no idea about what is going on around them, about how they are being perceived, unaware of how they affect others. They lack self-awareness. They are sometimes offensive but have no idea why others react to them negatively. They are frequently lonely but fail to understand that their own behavior or lack of manners is the reason. They are missing the social feedback sensors that others have which allows us to adjust ourselves to the situation. The person who lacks self-awareness talks too loudly in public, answers her cell phone and talks at length when it is clearly disturbing others, says things that are inappropriate, and generally misses social cues. The good news is that a person can learn this skill! If they desire to gain better relational skills, they can be coached to become self-aware.

There is another awareness that is critically important in the disciple’s daily life, one that the rush of the day can rob from us: God-awareness. A person who ‘forgets’ God, who fails acknowledge His Presence, becomes irreverent, profane, and often- insecure! It is a wonderfully assuring steadying blessing to know that He is near. Moses urged the Israelites to cultivate their God-awareness. He said, "Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the Lord is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other." (Deuteronomy 4:39, NIV)

When Hagar, the maidservant of Abraham’s wife, Sarah, was badly mistreated and sent away with her child, in the wilderness He met her and she gave Him a new name: El Roi – “The God who sees me!” "An angel of God found her beside a spring in the desert; it was the spring on the road to Shur. …She answered God by name, praying to the God who spoke to her, “You’re the God who sees me! “Yes! He saw me; and then I saw him!” " (Genesis 16:7, 13, The Message)

Each morning my first act upon awakening is to offer thanks and praise to the Lord. It only takes a few seconds, but it is a habit that helps me to be God-aware. From time to time through the day, I pause to look up (emotionally and mentally, more than physically) to thank Him. Why? To keep myself aware that He is the “God who sees me!” This is not for God’s benefit, but for mine! When I fail to remember that He is with me, it is but a short trip to anxiety or needless cares or even to sin.

Disciple, be intentionally God-aware. It is true that when we are children of God, through faith in Christ Jesus, that the Holy Spirit lives in us, but He does so sometimes without our conscious knowledge. When this happens we tend to lose the nobility of holiness that comes from knowing we are children of God, that our Father is with us. Ask any child who has a great relationship with his father what the knowledge that ‘Dad is here’ does for him! Dad means safety. Dad’s affirmation brings encouragement. Dad’s discipline provides secure boundaries! We know that is true for children. Be reminded, it is true for children of the Heavenly Father, too.

Here is a word from the Word. May it be the prayer of the God-aware today.
"O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways." (Psalm 139:1-3, NIV)

"Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast." (Psalm 139:7-10, NIV)

______________

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God.
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

Perfect submission, all is at rest.
I in my Savior am happy and blest.
Watching and waiting, looking above.
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

Blessed Assurance

Crosby, Fanny J. / Knapp, Phoebe P. / Wagner, Dougles E.
© 1989 Lorenz Publishing Company (a div. of the Lorenz Corporation)

CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: