Wednesday, March 03, 2010

And a door opened!

At 10 AM yesterday, my cell phone buzzed and the voice of the surgeon greeted me. My breath caught in my throat. It was finally going to be official, that ‘thing’ removed from me was analyzed, dissected, and diagnosed. What was it? Would I now face weeks or months of debilitating treatment? “Mr. Scott, you’re all clear. It was benign. No follow-up is necessary.” “Hallelujah,” I said into the phone, to which he made no reply. After a few perfunctory words of thanks, the call ended. For a few seconds I stood almost waiting for angels to break out in song or dancers to appear! It was a moment of sheer bliss, accompanied by tears and hugs, the news so good that I could not process it fully for hours. Suddenly a door to a brand new life opened. Only Heaven will reveal what that whole thing was about and how prayers were answered. I truly believe that God intervened graciously, according to His sovereign will, and for that I am ever so grateful. I can only hope that I would have accepted a different answer with equal faith and trust!

This crisis is past. Now what? A reminder to ‘Seize the day!’ is with me.
I can no longer live with the illusion that my life will stretch on tomorrow following tomorrow, without trouble or trial. The truth of the Word about the temporary nature of my existence is more real to me today.

James said, "Look here, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit.” How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone. What you ought to say is, “If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that.” Otherwise you are boasting about your own plans, and all such boasting is evil." (James 4:13-16, NLT) His words should not make us sad or hopeless! They should remind us of the amazing privilege of being part of the Lord’s plan, and ultimately finding ourselves at Home in His Presence.

My brush with mortality, far from being a curse, is a lesson about choosing each day to live with Heaven’s gates at the horizon. No, I am not being overly sentimental or super-spiritual! The last month was a tough slog, a time of wrestling with fear, a time of constantly seeking and accepting the peace of God. Faith did not forsake me, but it was tested! I re-discovered the importance of being connected with others, allowing them to comfort, to help to carry the burden, to receive prayer and ministry with gratitude and humility.

Disciple, make the most of this day as you live near to the heart of God. Enjoy the blessings. Love those who walk with you. Seek to serve, faithfully and wholeheartedly. Forgive.

Here’s a word from the Word. Make it your prayer.
"Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations. … The length of our days is seventy years— or eighty, if we have the strength; yet their span is but trouble and sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away. …
Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."
(Psalm 90:1, 10, 12, NIV)
___________________________

All my tomorrows, all my past;
Jesus is Lord of all.
I've quit my struggles,
Contentment at last,
Jesus is Lord of all.

All of my conflicts,
All my thoughts,
Jesus is Lord of all.
His love wins the battles,
I could not have fought,
Jesus is Lord of all.

All of my longings,
All my dreams,
Jesus is Lord of all.
All of my failures,
His power redeems,
Jesus is Lord of all.

King of kings, Lord of lords!
Jesus is Lord of all!
All my possessions,
And all my life,
Jesus is Lord of all.

Jesus Is Lord Of All
© 1973 William J. Gaither, Inc. ARR UBP of Gaither Copyright Management

Gloria Gaither
William J. Gaither

CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: