Friday, February 12, 2010

Golden Calf or Glorious God?

Exodus is a story full of lessons for those of us who would be God’s holy people! We learn that He really loved them, had great plans for them. His goal? To give bring them to the Promised Land. “With your unfailing love you lead the people you have redeemed. In your might, you guide them to your sacred home." (Exodus 15:13, NLT) He richly resourced them. God gave them a place of worship, detailing the construction of the Tabernacle, and teaching them about Himself in the way it was laid out, centered on the Holiest Place where the Ark of the Covenant and the Mercy Seat of Atonement! He called Aaron and his sons into a priesthood to administer His grace. He commanded them to set aside a full day each week to remember Him, honoring Him by breaking their pattern of daily work to spend one day in worship. He fed and led them by His constant Presence. Why? Above all, He wanted them to be His! “You are to be my holy people.” (Exodus 22:31, NIV)
And what did they do?
They failed frequently, griped constantly, and resisted leadership! The episode of the Golden Calf is one of the saddest chapters in the story. The Lord called Moses up to the mountain leaving the people for a time. They went to Aaron and said, "Make us gods who will lead us. We don’t know what happened to this fellow Moses, who brought us here from the land of Egypt." (Exodus 32:23, NLT) He took their gold and gave them an idol!

How could they forget God’s wondrous works in bringing them out of slavery?
How could they so quickly return to the gods of Egypt?

When confusion and uncertainty struck, they reverted to the comfort of the familiar, took the easy path instead of pursuing the mystery of the Lord’s ways. With the golden calf came a descent into lewdness, a riotous orgy of sensuality! Their choice was one made millions of times in history as people abandon their Creator to worship lesser gods.

Disciple, do you have any golden calves in your life? When the way gets tough, or God’s Presence is obscured by circumstances you cannot understand, are you tempted to find solace in things other than the Lord? The Word warns of this age old temptation that leads to depravity. Take a look. People "changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. … (They) changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen." (Romans 1:23, 25, KJV) I doubt many of us will be tempted to make a literal figurine, but we might be tempted by money, sex, or pleasure!

Never forget- a man becomes like his god! If we pursue the Holy One, full of Light and Glory, He will lift us out of our depravity and allow us to share His holiness. If we pursue lesser gods, the image of our Creator will grow faint and ultimately die. When the way ahead disappears into the fog of uncertain situations, wait on Him. If necessary, stand still! Remember the Glory.

" God’s Message, the God who made you in the first place, …
“Don’t be afraid, I’ve redeemed you. I’ve called your name. You’re mine.
When you’re in over your head, I’ll be there with you.
When you’re in rough waters, you will not go down.
When you’re between a rock and a hard place, it won’t be a dead end—
Because I am God, your personal God, The Holy of Israel, your Savior." (Isaiah 43:1-3, The Message)

__________

Shall I take from Your hand Your blessings
yet not welcome any pain?
Shall I thank You for days of sunshine
yet grumble in days of rain?
Shall I love You in times of plenty
then leave You in days of drought?
Shall I trust when I reap a harvest
but when winter winds blow, then doubt?

Oh, let Your will be done in me!
In Your love I will abide!
Oh, I long for nothing else as long
as You are glorified!

Are You good only when I prosper
and true only when I'm filled?
Are You King only when I'm carefree
and God only when I'm well?
You are good when I'm poor and needy!
You are true when I'm parched and dry!
You still reign in the deepest valley!
You're still God in the darkest night!

So quiet my restless heart.
Quiet my restless heart.
Quiet my restless heart.

As Long As You are Glorified
© 2008 Sovereign Grace Praise (c/o Integrity Music, Inc.)

Mark Altrogge

CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: