Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Into the Misery

While I was leading prayer in our Sunday AM worship, I broke into a strange lament; “Lord, how long? How long until Your kingdom comes?” The images from the broken nation of Haiti, my counseling with people wrestling with sin and temptation, and the unexplained physical suffering of acquaintances converged to press heavily on me. My prayer in that moment was less a formation of my intellect and more a groan from my soul!

My life would be simpler were I to assume that all things are a matter of the “good being blessed and the bad being cursed.” I could distance myself from the pain of those in misery if I allowed myself to see them as getting what they deserved; but He does not offer that option. He sends us into the misery!

Moses saw the suffering of the Israelites in Egypt, responded in self-directed rage and killed a man, then ran off into the desert where he lived in isolation, away from the daily sufferings of his people for many years. He would have died out there tending some sheep except that God showed up and reminded him of his true calling. One day he saw a bush burst into flame, without being consumed. "When the Lord saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, “Moses! Moses!” And Moses said, “Here I am.” “Do not come any closer,” God said. “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.” Then he said, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.” At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God. The Lord said, “I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey." (Exodus 3:4-8, NIV) And the LORD sent Moses back to Egypt, to live with the suffering slaves and to lead them out of their misery. It was no easy calling!

Some would say that if we come before the Lord and stand in His holy Presence, the things of earth will recede and we will be caught up into the heavenlies, living in holy bliss. The Scripture argues a different point. Those who enjoy the deepest intimacy with the Father, feel the beat of His heart for the world He created and the people He loves. We are, like Moses and even Jesus Christ, sent to the misery!

The Light in which we live cannot be held only for ourselves, it must be shared. “Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16, The Message)

As inviting as the cloister of the holy huddle might be, we must not stay there! A retreat, from time to time, to regroup and renew may be in order. But we cannot choose to live in a place of isolation where the leper, the sinner, the broken are not invited because they are judged to be enduring the fruit of their own choices. We are sent into the misery! We share the call of the first Twelve, so let’s go!
"When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick." (Luke 9:1-2, NIV)

_______________

I'm calling out to You,
There must be something more,
Some deeper place to find,
Some secret place to hide,
Where I've not gone before.

Where my soul is satisfied,
And my sin is put to death.
And I can hear Your voice,
Your purpose is my choice,
As natural as a breath.

Oh place in my heart
A passion for Jesus!
A hunger that seizes
My passion for You!
My one desire,
My greatest possession,
My only confession,
My passion for You!

The love I knew before,
When You first touched my life;
I need You to restore,
I want You to revive!

Passion For Jesus
© 1999 Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
Brian Houston
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: