Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Lord, what will I do?

I was awake for a couple of hours early this morning thinking and praying about a tough decision that is confronting me. It’s time to decide! There’s no easy or right answer for this situation as both options carry both reward and risk. Choices confront us every day. How we make them reveals much about our character, commitment, and core values! The easy ones, for me anyway, are those that are clearly black and white issues, the right and wrong ones starkly defined. Millions of people find an excuse for choosing the wrong one anyway. The choices much more difficult to make are the ones involving equally good outcomes. For example, a person with a good job that adequately meets his needs is offered a new position requiring relocation but with a promise of greater responsibility in the future. Does he stay where he’s happy or make the choice for growth?

Jesus spoke of choices and reminds us that the choice that offers Self the most comfort is also the choice for death. "The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it." (Matthew 7:13-14, NLT) Depravity and sin see to it that default settings of this world lead to destruction. If you slip and slide through life, letting decisions be made for you by others or refusing to challenge your impulses, you will not succeed in building a life pleasing to God or that blesses others. That’s a certainty! Right choices usually go against the flow requiring that we resist temptation.

The Bible says, "If all you want is your own way, flirting with the world every chance you get, you end up enemies of God and his way." (James 4:4, The Message) As we choose, we need to be honest about our true motives. Recently, as I sought the counsel of a trusted friend, I explained the options in front of me. Then, I told him, “Here is a complicating factor that is part of the background. I know I’m emotionally attracted to this idea.” Why did I reveal something that seemingly was unrelated to the decision of the moment? Because I don’t trust myself! I need to be transparent, to give others permission to point out flawed motives that could corrupt my decision making process. Over the course of my pastoral ministry, I have heard people rationalize thousands of wrong and/or sinful choices because they refused to admit that they were flirting with the world or just being selfish! The worst excuse? “God told me I could…” Don’t misuse His Name in this way!

Though we are ultimately responsible to God for our own choices, the truly wise person makes his decisions as he considers the advice of others. Proverbs promises that "Without counsel, plans go awry, but in the multitude of counselors they are established." (Proverbs 15:22, NKJV) Even then, there is a choice! What kind of counsel will we seek? Will we look for those we know will agree with us, or will we look for those known for honest, tough counsel? The Word lauds good counsel. "Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers. But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night. They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season. Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do." (Psalm 1:1-3, NLT)
As we near the end of 2009, there are choices to be made. Choose rightly and wisely. As I thought about my choice today, I was reminded of two promises Jesus made to us. As you meditate on them, give thanks and invite the Lord of life to lead you to the right way.

First is the promise of the Holy Spirit Who lives in us! "When he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come." (John 16:13, NIV)

Second is the promise of fellowship with Christ Himself! "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me." (Revelation 3:20, NIV)

____________


Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah,
Pilgrim through this barren land;
I am weak, but Thou art mighty,
Hold me with Thy pow'rful hand.
Bread of heaven, Bread of heaven,
Feed me till I want no more;
Feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain,
Whence the healing stream doth flow;
Let the fire and cloudy pillar
Lead me all my journey through.
Strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer,
Be Thou still my strength and shield;

Be Thou still my strength and shield.
When I tread the verge of Jordan,
Bid my anxious fears subside;
Bear me thro' the swelling current,
Land me safe on Canaan's side.
Songs and praises, songs and praises,
I will ever give to Thee;
I will ever give to Thee.

Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah
Williams, William / Fosdick, Harry E. / Hughes, John / William, Peter
© Public Domain

No comments: