Thursday, December 03, 2009

A Dark and Stormy Night

Standing in the backyard with Sam, the setter, in the darkness just before the dawn was an awesome experience today. High winds roared in the trees, bending even the thick branches. It was as though an unseen hand shook each limb. Clouds raced by the bright moon, driven by powerful currents of air. The sounds were amazing; rushing air, snapping branches, huge drops of rain smacking my face! It was a grand display of power which brought to mind the description of the birth of the Church.

"Suddenly, there was a sound from heaven like the roaring of a mighty windstorm, and it filled the house where they were sitting. Then, what looked like flames or tongues of fire appeared and settled on each of them. And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability." (Acts 2:2-4, NLT) Because this stunning event happened on the Jewish feast of Pentecost, we still refer to that initial experience of the Spirit as making one a "Pentecostal" Christian.
With that experience of empowering Person, that little band of men and women went out to every corner of their world. They preached the Good News of a Savior, fought with evil where they found it, loved the broken and outcast, gave their lives in pursuit of the purposes of God. And, by that amazing Power working in them, they changed the brutal world in which they lived! The prayer of my heart is borrowed from Habakkuk who said, "Lord, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, O Lord. Renew them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy." (3:2, NIV) This world needs a new Pentecost! My church needs a new Pentecost. I need a new Pentecost! I can no more make that happen than I can cause the mighty winds to blow through the trees of my backyard. However, I can pray to the Lord of Heaven, the Mighty Maker of the Winds, and ask Him to make the Wind of the Spirit blow anew.

It is not simply an experience for which I long, nor is it for chills or thrills of emotion. It is for a new power, a fire to be lit once again, that burns brightly in this darkened world where in a time of such prosperity and blessing the love of many Christians for their God is lukewarm, at best. Many want the gentle breeze to blow to remind them of the Spirit's Presence, but they fear the Mighty gust of His power that turns life upside down! Many want God tamed, on a leash, unthreatening but comforting. I want Him to own me! Come, Holy Spirit, blow like a Mighty Wind.

  • What sins have you learned to tolerate in your life that obscure the brightness of His glory in you?
  • What suffering have you learned to ignore that the Spirit would compel you to alleviate with love?
  • Do you think of millions who are dead while they live, ignorant of the God who loves them, and go to tell the story of Savior born to save the world?
  • Is your life passionately dedicated to the work of God, or carefully lived to avoid difficulties, draining people, and dark circumstances in desperate need of the Light?
Father God, let your Mighty Wind
blow through my life,
Sweeping away apathy.
By the storm create a new climate
In which Your Son can shine brightly.
Spirit, blow through my heart,
Awesome and powerful,
Irresistibly drawing me to the
Purposes for which I was made.
Jesus, make all things new,
In me, in my church, in my world.
Amen

________________

There's a wind a-blowin'
All across the land
A fragrant breeze of heaven
Blowin' once again
Don't know where it comes from
Don't know where it goes
But let it blow over me
Oh Sweet Wind
Come and blow over me

There's a rain a-pourin'
Showers from above
Mercy drops are comin'
Mercy drops of love
Turn your face to heaven
Let the water pour
Well let it pour over me
Oh Sweet Rain
Come and pour over me

There's a fire burnin'
Fallin' from the sky
Awesome tongues of fire
Consuming you and I
Can you feel it burnin'
Burn the sacrifice
Well let it burn over me
Oh Sweet Fire
Come and burn over me

Sweet Wind
© 1994 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing
Vineyard Songs Canada
ION Publishing (Admin. by Music Services)
(Admin. by Music Services)
(Admin. by Vineyard Music USA)
David Ruis
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: